Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM

sewNsew, your block is striking! Next time make your picture bigger.....need to see more details.

Also, congrats on teaching the grandsons to sew. Although my mom did most of the sewing in our house, I remember my dad sewing some stuff too. And I am the one in our house that does the sawing and hammering. A skill is a skill, the more learned the better.

I had instantly ruled out jaba's block as too complicated, but all of you are an inspiration to give it a try. It really looks good and the corners turn out so cool.

Last edited by whitepine; 01-09-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM

yes pam, it will work, and works wonderfully. I took a green crayon and marked my 3.5 in line up mark. lay the long edge across the bottom of your sewn together 1.5 in strips. when you flip your ruler, the bottom of the ruler will be along the other edge of your strips. the middle of your ruler, (3.5" mark) will be on just cut line. be very careful sewing you 1.5 in strips tgeter with a 1/4 " seam, and line your ruler up very carefully with the bottom. and I did lots of basting to make sure my pts would line up when I was sewing the pieces together.

took being careful, but it was so much fun to see that you could make it come out. whn laying pieces on top of each other to sew together, make sure you line the triangles up right on top of each other. you want the seams (of the squares) to end up being right squarely in each corner. that way when you start sewing your sides together Your pts will match up 1/4 " in. on the finishd seam.
white pine, yes, knew it was too small, but I usually make my pic's too big, and was trying not to do that this time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455641[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jan 2014 mystery quilt 477.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	622.9 KB
ID:	455641  

Last edited by sewNso; 01-09-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the tips sewNsew.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
I have the easy angle ruler. So that one will work on this? I have yet to use it. Hope I can figure it out.
My triangle ruler is just a plain old Omnigrid one that I have had for years. One just has to remember to flip the ruler upside right to cut the next section. I even stacked two rows of strips together & cut, got them cut faster that way, I was surprised that they still came out good. Of course I pinned all seams when I sewed them together. This block round was a good refresher for many of us.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Baste, baste, baste. do 3 or 4, sew them together, then make the rest. I wanted to make sure i had a 1/4 inc of black along the edges of the 3 or 4 sewn together blocks, and that i had a nice green point.

Last edited by sewNso; 01-09-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 AM

When I reduce my photos, I usually set the pixels at 900. It's easier than trying to fool around with percentages.

Another reason I was avoiding this border was that it seemed like there wasn't the 'fudge factor' that there is in the squares. I had to do a bit of that on this one but it was so busy it didn't show. I'm going to have to improve when the borders get longer.

Now when you guys are talking about flipping the ruler, what do you mean. You don't mean flipping it over, upside down, do you? Just moving it to the other edge?

Last edited by whitepine; 01-09-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 AM

Thanks, sewNsew. I was just kidding you know. Looks great. And look how those points in your center line up with the points in the border. wow.

Last edited by whitepine; 01-09-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
When I reduce my photos, I usually set the pixels at 900. It's easier than trying to fool around with percentages.

Another reason I was avoiding this border was that it seemed like there wasn't the 'fudge factor' that there is in the squares. I had to do a bit of that on this one but it was so busy it didn't show. I'm going to have to improve when the borders get longer.

Now when you guys are talking about flipping the ruler, what do you mean. You don't mean flipping it over, upside down, do you? Just moving it to the other edge?
Triangle point up, then turn ruler with point down.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Finally figured out how to post pictures!

This is a Medallion style quilt I made using leftover pink and green triangles from Square-in-a-square, flip & sew and other methods with fabric waste. I was fun trying to figure out all the different triangles to use up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]455649[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	455649  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
yes pam, it will work, and works wonderfully. I took a green crayon and marked my 3.5 in line up mark. lay the long edge across the bottom of your sewn together 1.5 in strips. when you flip your ruler, the bottom of the ruler will be along the other edge of your strips. the middle of your ruler, (3.5" mark) will be on just cut line. be very careful sewing you 1.5 in strips tgeter with a 1/4 " seam, and line your ruler up very carefully with the bottom. and I did lots of basting to make sure my pts would line up when I was sewing the pieces together.

took being careful, but it was so much fun to see that you could make it come out. whn laying pieces on top of each other to sew together, make sure you line the triangles up right on top of each other. you want the seams (of the squares) to end up being right squarely in each corner. that way when you start sewing your sides together Your pts will match up 1/4 " in. on the finishd seam.
white pine, yes, knew it was too small, but I usually make my pic's too big, and was trying not to do that this time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455641[/ATTACH]
I really love that border, I dunno, I may have to try it at some point. I think I have a triangle ruler around here somewhere.