Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother >

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 AM

What a lovely idea your Mum will be delighted I'm sure. Lots of useful suggestions in previous posts, one thing I noticed is that the existing borders look a bit 'wavy' and adding more blocks or borders may cause you problems, I would be tempted to take them off and redo them - of course it could be the picture makes them look wavy!!!
Don't forget to let us see the end result.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board from Northern Calfornia. You are a sweetheart to do this for your Mom. A lof of good advise here. Look forward to seeing the finished project. BrendaK
Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
The backing material (underside) should be 100% cotton. You can find wide material made for backing a quilt or muslin. That way the back is one piece. The batting could be wool or cotton. If you have a JoAnn's nearby, I'm sure they can point you to the batting and the materials for your backing.

You mom is a very lucky woman. She raised a very good son.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?
I am located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I have a Joann Fabrics in town that I plan on visiting today after I get off work. My mother’s favorite color is brown, so I was thinking I could cut up some squares in that color. Do blue and brown go together?

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
So what you need is to finish the top, then measure it. Your backing will need to be 2-3 inches bigger than the top all the way around, and your batting should be as well, it will draw up some when you quilt it so you need a little room to play there.

Stitch in the ditch is basically a straight stitch along the seam lines. Most battings require between 3-10inches between quilting lines (in all directions) in order to prevent the batting from shifting (like you get with old cheap comforters [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Edmond\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image001.png[/IMG] ) With cotton battings with scrim, I believe most of them are 8ins between quilting lines. Which will work nicely.

Now, if I was doing this, I would chose the 2nd top you posted, and do pinwheels, one fabric being one I like, another one that my mom would like. Then I would add a 3in border to finish it off.

For the quilting, I would stitch 1/4 inch away from every seam line. In the center part where your gran's piece is, it will look almost like a plaid. the pinwheels, I would use the serpentine stitch (the one that looks like an S) and stitch 1/4in away from the seams, this will give a little movement to those blocks.

Good Luck, and please come back and show us what it looks like completed [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Edmond\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image002.png[/IMG]
I plan on utilizing the second one because it is in much better shape than the first one and would require less maintenance. I like the idea of doing straight stiches along all the seams through the entire quilt. Would my little sewing machine I posted in a previous post be strong enough for a task like this?

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
My first thought was to preserve them by framing them, especially since you said the fabrics are thin. Since they've already been used, with more use they may start to tear and I don't think you want them ruined. They are kind of large for framing, though---you need to have a large wall space for that. The first one wouldn't look right cut in half, but the second one could actually be cut in half and each half framed, so two different people could each have one for a momento. I really like ManiacQuilter's idea of including photos, maybe some of Grandma's jewelry, a lacy handkerchief that was hers, etc. inside with the quilt pieces.
I really appreciate the feedback and ideas. At this time, my Mother lives in a very small apartment since she used to live and take care of her mother in her mother’s home. The apartment is very small and she wouldn’t have much room to display a frame.
I was hoping that a lap throw might serve a useful purpose, while almost doubling as a display item if it was thrown in front of the fireplace or over the top of a couch. We enjoy decorative items in my family, however utility has always come first even with heirloom items

Originally Posted by klaws View Post
What a great idea. Please post a picture when it is complete.
Oh trust me! I can assure everyone on this board I will keep everyone in the loop regarding this project, and with picture updates!

Thanks again all for the support!

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
What a lovely idea your Mum will be delighted I'm sure. Lots of useful suggestions in previous posts, one thing I noticed is that the existing borders look a bit 'wavy' and adding more blocks or borders may cause you problems, I would be tempted to take them off and redo them - of course it could be the picture makes them look wavy!!!
Don't forget to let us see the end result.
I think it may appear wavy because they were still a little wet from handwashing when I laid them on the ground and took pictures of them. I may be wrong, however, and I will make sure I address this when I get to adding my block border work.
Truly sad thing is, I have the very last quilt top my great-grandmother made before she past. It’s the biggest one she has ever made, with many 1x1 inch and 1x2 inch blocks. The blocks are indeed wavy on that quilt because her cancer treatment was affecting her so much. It is my hope to finish my grandmother’s work on this top and put a backing on it, so it may be used by my fiancé and I, or to be hung up in our living room.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

With respect to my fellow QB members, I would not necessarily use fusible interfacing for this project. Reasons:
Even the featherweight stabilizer makes fabric stiff. About the only one that doesn't is Mistyfuse and you are talking a lot of $$ to fuse misty fuse to that.
The quilt top appears to be out of square and has some fullness to it. Totally understandable as it was a pillow, then taken apart, then washed and the fabrics were thin too. Applying a fusible interface will be tricky to avoid pleats and puckers being ironed into the fabric. You would almost have to cut small pieces to match every piece of patchwork if you were going to take this path. IMHO this would be an exercise in frustration and there is ZERO room for error because once you fuse it is pretty much fused for good.
The best advice I saw here is to find a quilt shop, NOT JOANNES, but a real quilt shop and ask for help from the employees. Bring the tops with you. They will be able to actually evaluate the condition of the fabrics and advise if it is even feasible to make these into lap quilts or simply go with the framing idea.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of admiration for you to want to make a lap throw for your Mom.
I would use a warm and natural batting or polyester batting. I would only do straight line stitches to quilt it. I like the stitching about 1/4" from the seam. Stitch in the ditch is where one tries to stitch a straight line in the actual seam ditch. It is almost impossible to do so it looks neat.
Good luck with your throw and I will be happy to see it when it is done.
Welcome to this wonderful board and all the helpful people here.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 AM

I'm a pretty inexperienced quilter, so I don't have much useful advice I can offer beyond what people have already suggested. I just wanted to post to say that this thread has really caught my attention - I think it's a wonderful thing that you're planning to do and I'll be watching out for updates! Good luck!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Wow..Thank you for the insight! I like the idea of surrounding one of these pieces with some of my own cut squares.

I forget what the underside of the quilt is called. What material would be best for the underside? would I need to put a batting in the middle of the underside the top? (I can't remember if that's appropriate or not for a lap throw)

I will have to look up what a "stitch in the ditch" is I have some learning to do for this project
there is blog I just read today it is title" explain to me what you mean by stich in the ditch" maybe you can reference it.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mishi View Post
I.... I just wanted to post to say that this thread has really caught my attention - I think it's a wonderful thing that you're planning to do and I'll be watching out for updates! Good luck!
Me too. Looking forward to further updates, Louis.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Welcome to the board. Ask a question and you receive many answers. That's what is so great about this place. It's very touching that you want to preserve your grandmother's quilts. I'm sure your mother will be so proud of you.
Debbie
Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM

[/QUOTE] Unfortunately both of my grandmothers succumbed to cancer over the span 2011-2012. It hit my mother pretty hard, and she is still trying to get through it. It is my wish to re-purpose one of these halves into something for my mother for her upcoming birthday in February.[/QUOTE]

No ideas as to what to do with your grandmothers' items and sorry about their deaths. However, how wonderful that you as a 21-year-old male wish to make something for your mother. I have 3 sons ages 32-41 and I never expect to have anything sewn from them!!!!!