Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In tears about my first quilt >

In tears about my first quilt

In tears about my first quilt

Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Sorry you had this experience. Someone gave me a stack of 9 patch blocks (in varying shades of purple). Some had good contrast, others not so good. I ended up measuring the size of the block and cut white blocks the same size and alternated the blocks. Then for the border I cut a light purple border (I also added a few of my own blocks to incorporate the border color). I also like the sashing idea. You could also used black blocks for a more dramatic look. I didn't know how it would turn out, but when my sister saw it she loved it...guess what she's getting for Christmas! I didn't tell her how it started.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM

I am sorry! Take a deep breath, walk away for a while and know that it will some how be all ok in the end, frustrating as it may be, it will be ok.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Hang in there
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by chrisfromtx View Post
I made about 200 6 1/2 inch nine patch blocks. I had trouble right away placing them in what I thought was a pleasing way. I used about 15 different, coordinating fabrics and muslin. Most of the blocks I made were just 2 fabrics and sometimes I would invert the combination. My aunt, who is a quilt maker, wanted to help. She told me that it would be easier to make a pattern with a four patch (thanks alot aunt). She thought I should take them apart. I said No Way! But she's kind of bossy and eventually she said she would take some apart and help me come up with a pattern. I thought she might just take one of the strips off, so I would have a 3 patch and a 6 patch, but she knows what she's doing Right. Well she designed for me a beautiful quilt top, what she calls a Trip Around the World. As she was explaining it to me I noticed that she had strips of 3 patches and single pieces. I asked her how I was going to put this all together, she never had a satisfactory answer, and then it dawned on me that my quilt was a mess. I have 2 1/2 inch pieces, 5 inch pieces, and 6 1/2 inch pieces. I don't know where to start. Am I wrong in thinking that she got me into a jam. I wanted my first quilt to be simple and easy to put together, now I have mess that all I can see it as is a jigsaw puzzle. What can I do? Where do I start?
Thank you for any help you can give me,
chrisfromtx
It's OK, Chris. Lots of us had similar experiences with first quilts. Mine is finally worn out from so many washings, so we have established that a disaster can be fixed. My best judgment, since you have been working with ittybitty pieces is to put them aside with a letter to yourself promising to come back to it later. Then find a pattern that uses larger pieces and make a four patch or nine patch using those. Limit the number of fabrics/colors you use and that will make it easier to lay out your blocks once you get them together.

If we knew where you are from in Texas, we might be able to get you some hands on help from your area. I'm in N Texas and we've got several guilds with members who will lend you a sympathetic ear and maybe even a helping hand. Ask at a fabric store or department if they know anyone who might help. froggyintexas
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM

[ sending you lots of Hugs}

You've received lots of advice on here.......JMHO.........put these blocks away, take deeeep cleansing breaths, take a walk.........check out basic simple patterns on the internet for table runners, etc.....Make a few of those even if they are simple 4 patch or 9 patch blocks put together....Get a little more confidence then dig out those blocks/pieces and they won't seem so daunting!!!!!
You Rock Girl for even trying., most beginners start with too big a project and become overwhelmed...scale back and Relax!!!!!!!! Best Wishes, let us know how it all turns out.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
QM
Power Poster

How frustrating! I am so glad I did not have a know it all "helping me" with my first quilt. (By the way, I was advised to do whatever I wanted for my first and chose a 9 patch.)

I presume what you have looks something like the picture.

What I would do is thank the aunt politely, wait until she is gone and reassemble what you had. On a large surface, try different layouts until what you have pleases YOU. Stack, label and pin each row. You might want to use sashing strips. when I sash, I always use cornerstones because they look sharp and help me keep things aligned. (experienced quilters use design walls for this purpose, but a floor will generally do.)

PS beware of this lady. she is "Quilt Police". If you come here for advice, you will get friendly, HELPFUL people to respond.

If you want to use her advice. turn the 3 patch and 2 patch into a second 4 patch and set aside the odd square for a cornerstone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9 patch disassembled.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	456478  

Last edited by QM; 01-13-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Hang in there. One day you will look at this and laugh. It seems like a disaster but it will work out. Even if it is a scrappy. Pictures will help.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

I'm with Bella boo. Put it in a bag, stuff it out of sight, and start over with a kit. Once you have a few quilts under your belt, pull out the bag and it won't be long before you have it figured out. Sometimes we just have to walk away.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 AM

I would neatly press the squares and put them in a scrap drawer for future use (you will find lots of uses for them). Find a pattern you like and dig in to make your "first" quilt "without your aunt". You will look back on this one day and "smile".

My first quilt is a UFO because I realized I needed more experience to finish it (I jumped in with both feet and very little idea of what I was doing). I will finish it one day when I am ready and find it in that forgotten bin. But for now I am still learning with each project.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:10 AM

Don't give up. I have only been quilting a little over a year. There is nothing you cannot google. If not for that resource and this board I would have given up many times. This is just your first quilt. There are many more to come. You cannot learn unless you make mistakes. Mistakes are the best teachers. I started with small things like table runners and hot pads to work on my skill. Even if I now have a quilt that doesn't turn out like I expected, I will take a break and do something small to get my motivation to keep on back.