Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip! >

Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip!

Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip!

Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Fay: Really outstanding quilt. Love Judy's design and your execution. The boldness of Judy's design, plus the nice people is what made me join the latest train ride. I clearly should go back and look at her other designs.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

My Mystery 3 is half done, I was doing it for christmas, and it never made it. I am trying to finish up some UFO's so that'll be one I work on again at some point.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Fay: Really outstanding quilt. Love Judy's design and your execution. The boldness of Judy's design, plus the nice people is what made me join the latest train ride. I clearly should go back and look at her other designs.
Emma I completely agree with you. Love Judy's design and her execution of the boldness of the design.

Caroline, I was sad that my fabric did not play well with Judy's awesome design. Im currently auditioning some Reds that I feel will really show case Judy's awesome pattern. LOL and its already earmarked for my son-in-law.

Mfay - I love what you did with yours. I love the look of the textures and colors of your fabric choices they really made Judy's design pop for me. Not to forget to mention those wonderful Labs looking out at us.

I keep going back to the 3rd Mystery Thread to view others completed projects to help me in my choices for re-making it.

Judy- I thank you so much for all the work you have put into and are continuing to put in to these wonderful mysterious train rides. You do a great job in helping all of us in our selections of fabric color & design choices without giving away the mystery. Obviously you are a master of mysteries as you see all of us sitting around this campfire are avid followers. :thum bup:
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 AM

do not mind waiting, kinda frantic trying to get the "sewing area" organized. I finished pieceing (sp) all the tops except 5.5 but have not quilted them, sigh....... trying to get my arms strong enough to tackle free-motion quilting again.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the info Judy. Looking forward to seeing what you have put together for us.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 AM

Judy hope you have fun picking out your new machine! I need those couple extra weeks so no worries here! I love the mystery trains too they are so very fun. I think when it comes to picking fabrics here the key is to really go with the contrast level Judy suggests. Also if she is using a small print on her high contrast you probably should use a small print on that one also.. this way when its all pulled together everyone will have a higher chance of success. The designs are great. And you are free like Jen did to change things up a bit, add your own extra things to personalize it so you end up with a quilt top that you love. and I think we all share out photos of fabric possibilities right? just be honest when you see a combo that might not work or a fabric that you think is not of enough contrast value. This helps us all.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Jenniky, Look great even though I liked it in the original pattern too. Can't wait to see the next one.
M-fay, Love the doggies and a great border.
I missed #3 but it' such a great pattern that I'm going to get back to it someday.

Judy, great to hear from you! No rush, there are always things to do. We sure don't want a burnout so whenever is fine. We're heading out on vacation for the first to weeks in Feb. so later is better for me but I can always catch up (and try not to peek ahead, ha ha).

Elizabrat, Good advice!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Speaking of Mystery Quilts, I am going to be doing one on Superbowl Sunday at the LQS. I was wondering if you gals wouldn't mind giving me some advice on my colors I've picked.
C3 and C2 aren't supposed to contrast greatly, they can be different values (darks/lights) of the same colors and they will almost always touch in the quilt. what I'm worried about is it too busy or will the slight directionals underneath be a problem?

C1 should be a large, busy print and stand out from C3 and C2.

Background she doesn't say, but I suspect light enough not to distract.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456699[/ATTACH]

So thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-00E.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	456699  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Jenniky, Look great even though I liked it in the original pattern too. Can't wait to see the next one.
M-fay, Love the doggies and a great border.
I missed #3 but it' such a great pattern that I'm going to get back to it someday.

Judy, great to hear from you! No rush, there are always things to do. We sure don't want a burnout so whenever is fine. We're heading out on vacation for the first to weeks in Feb. so later is better for me but I can always catch up (and try not to peek ahead, ha ha).

Elizabrat, Good advice!
White pine thats the border Judy gave us for #3. Very simple, but hugely attractive.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 PM

Skylr: As they say, "Fools rush in.....!" First of all colors on monitors are always distorted but on my monitor C1 doesn't go with the other three. I wonder if there is a bold print lurking out there somewhere that would contain the colors in the other materials plus a shot of another color like orange, pinkish purple, something to give it zing. If C2 didn't have the same color "background" as the background I even wonder if it would work for C1. Just some thoughts of the top of my head, now that I have muddied the water I will steal into the night.