Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 AM

As long as Quilting keeps living I don't care what "style" they are. Just don't let all quilters die off!!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 AM

I have been looking at some modern quilt blogs today, and actually have one of my owns that I barely bother with, but I this is how I feel about modern quilting blogs: I. get exhausted when I read modern quilting blogs. The women are mostly younger than I am, and irrepressibly chirpy and cheery. They make me want to go lie down on the floor. And they are always saying, "My friend from this blog..." And "My friend from that blog..." with uplifting stories of their many commercial and creative successes. And contests, with blog hops. It all just makes me tired. But they are all pretty young, and I am not anymore.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Nancy if you likecdtars and bright colors check out the tute i did called Scrappy Star. Its easy and sounds like its right up your alley.
Thank you! I am going to check it out right now!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 AM

Back before it was a "movement" I had issues with the more modern quilts that started cropping up. It wasn't because they weren't traditional or because they were different - it was because the construction on the quilts was ... wrong, I guess? Poorly constructed would be a better way to put it maybe. And I'm really very sorry if it offends anyone here, but I don't see where taking a bunch of jelly roll strips and sewing them together is any great feat. I do have a lot of respect for the quilts that at least LOOK like there was some design plan for them, but the ones that just look thrown together escape me.

That said, I wouldn't call the quilting I do "traditional" in a traditional sense. I would agree with whomever called it contemporary - I like traditional patterns done in more contemporary fabrics. If I had stuck with traditional patterns made from reproduction fabrics (30's, Civil War, etc) I would have stopped quilting long ago. I HAVE done more traditional work ... but I prefer a more contemporary look through fabric selection. I've also never really been a fan of "scrappy" quilts though I've done a couple myself - I call them controlled scrappy quilts.

All in all, I think that if the construction of a quilt is durable, that's all that really matters. There's no reason we all have to agree on whether or not a particular "movement" is legitimate or not, and I think that the resurgence that's happening as a result of the modern quilters will only increase the fabrics, threads and tools available to all of us. In fact, I think the recent resurgence of sewing in general can only be a good thing for all of us.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM

Someone linked to this blog.

http://jacquietps.wordpress.com/

If all modern art quilters were this good--none of us could ever criticize them. This person is fantastic!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM

I'm not sure what modern quilting is, but I do like the abstract and contemporary quilts I have been seeing.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM

I personally would call the pic near the beginning of this thread a scrappy rather than a true modern. Granted the squares are muted and almost blend into each other...some anyway, but to me modern is more abstract in design and almost cold. Whereas traditional is restful, your eyes travel around it seeing things differently like when liking into a kaleidoscope........just my opinion. I do like some of what I call modern, but not on my beds or walls or tables......
Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM
SSK

Well put. :-)
Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 PM

When I think of a modern quilt, I think of a quilt pieced of big blocks and bold colors. They make you smile. The quilts are functional. Swirly Girls are my favorite modern quilt designers.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 PM

Some aspects are: not relying on perfect symmetry, also an unexpected element. Like: rose rose rose skull rose rose.