Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Ideas for Dad's 60 Birthday >

Need Ideas for Dad's 60 Birthday

Need Ideas for Dad's 60 Birthday

Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Well, I'm 84 and I don't feel old. I look it,ha, but we are as old as we feel. Cheer him up. He is so young. I have 2 60yr. old men. One rides a bicycle 40, 50, 60 miles a day with his wife and the other one sits.LOL
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Maybe take a nice week-end stakation, take lots of pictures for both your memories and his. We can always buy something, but time together can never be bought.
I invited a family member to dinner one day, he said he had made other plans, so I prepared to go it alone. The door bell rang and yes, he canceled his plans and said he could always go another time, but our time together would not be replaced. Have fun!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by frenchfryqueen View Post
I saw a blog a while back that on her dad's 60th birthday, she had 60 people he knew write him a short letter, and she presented them to him in a lovely keepsake box. I'd like to do something along the lines of this-- I think he's sad about getting older, and I'd love for him to know how the world is a better place because he's in it.
I saw that too, and thought it was a lovely idea. So for my MIL's 75th birthday, I did the same thing, sent out letters asking her friends to write down their favorite memory (or two or three) of her. I enclosed SASEs, my email, phone, every possible way for people to participate, and I started 6 months ahead of her birthday. I got 4 responses back. She has tons of friends, so I don't quite understand what the problem was.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed and did not go ahead with THAT plan.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM

60 signatures on a quilt...duplicates would be OK....
Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM

For my husbands 70th birthday, I made him a wall hanging with all the Grand kids and great grandkids pictures I made a log cabin design. I used wallet size photos for the center. All 15 grands and 4 greats. Since I came out uneven, I added the following in one of the squares --- Grand children are the dots that connect the lines from Generation to Generation ! Good luck, have fun. Janice
Old 01-14-2014, 06:43 AM

I like this idea...I made a signature quilt for my Aunt, & it went over VERY well. Some send out swatches ahead of time, I made my quilt first & had them sign as they came in.

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
60 signatures on a quilt...duplicates would be OK....
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 AM

Have each friend and family member bring a container holding 60 of something. When he opens each gift, the giver tells why they chose that object for him. It's a lot of fun and quite meaningful at times.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by frenchfryqueen View Post
I definitely agree with you all-- age is a state of mind!
When my husband turned 70, he seemed to feel old. I'd hear comments about the mind feeling able but not the body and hear about aches and pains from age. I'm not sure we can do much about those feelings.

As far as your dad goes, maybe taking him out for a nice dinner would be good and/or asking family, friends and neighbors to all send him a birthday card. That might make him feel special. Making him something is nice as well but he might get more use out of a throw and a large quilt. The throws are nice on these cool nights as you watch tv.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM

When my dad turned 60, I knew his favorite hymn and broke it down into 16 sections. Several months before his birthday I contacted 16 family members and lifelong friends to ask if they'd help with the celebration. I mailed each one a number and a selected part of the hymn. Before his birthday, I mailed him a paper with lines numbered 1 through 16 (his wife was in on it so she could tell him to be patient and he would find out what the paper was for.) Dad received 16 calls at various times during a 2-hour period, giving Dad their number and their selected section of the hymn. I called last, and by then all the lines had been completed. He got calls from all over the country and from friends and relatives who otherwise couldn't have participated. It took a little time to get organized, but it was so worth it. He enjoyed hearing from all his brothers, sisters and children, as well as others who meant a lot to him.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:25 AM

take 60 pennies, form the number 60 on a piece of poster paper or poster board, glue on the pennies. Have friends sign it. If having a party, have them sign it when they come. Cut the board or paper any size to fit the number 60. You could also frame it for him afterwards. for my husband's 70th party, I mentioned if they wanted to bring a small gift, not to spend over 70 cents on it! This was quite a hit at the party! People had fun figuring out something for the price & he got a kick opening the gift up!