Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Toyota Sewing Machine >

New Toyota Sewing Machine

New Toyota Sewing Machine

Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM

I thought maybe he meant a shirring foot, but he definitely said "shearing". I've lived in Texas for 23 years and I'm still not used to the accents here, LOL!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Wow, I thought I was the only Toyota sewing machine owner in this world. I bought one awhile back on eBay....this one is a small, sort of "traveling" one......it still sits in its box..........I will visit the website suggested
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 AM

Arrow

And I was beginning to think I was the only one too . . . ok, at least in the US. But I found out that Toyota bought out another company a few years back - trying to find out what company THAT was. Have you noticed that when you look up any list of sewing machines, Toyota is *NEVER* on it?

Blessings,
Nancy

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Wow, I thought I was the only Toyota sewing machine owner in this world. I bought one awhile back on eBay....this one is a small, sort of "traveling" one......it still sits in its box..........I will visit the website suggested
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
And just a reminder...quarter-inch feet don't always measure up properly with the default needle setting, even if it's a "name-brand" foot that comes with the machine. The quarter-inch foot that came with my Janome is off a bit; I have to remember to adjust my needle position to use it properly.
so true & so important! as i finally figured out why my seams were ~ 1/32 of inch off on my fw recently. so, i used engineering ruler to measure distance from needle & placed small strip red electric tape on the needle plate only, so as not to have residue or damage to the enamel of the machine bed.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

That's nice of your DH to do the searching but it's odd to find a Toyota brand even popping up in a search for sewing machines. Did you test sew on it first before he bought it?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:23 PM

My serger is a Toyota. I bought it many years ago and never used it a great deal. Once in a while I'd get it out and do a couple of things. I came with a decent instruction book.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:46 AM

get your dealer to help you, you bought it from him, and he should know the machine, how to use and service it. That is the reason you buy from a dealer, customer service.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 AM

Default European Website

Originally Posted by His_Grace View Post
As part of my plan to learn to quilt, I got a new Toyota (STF 39) sewing machine for Christmas! My dear hubby researched it for at least 6 months and talked to the guy at our local sewing/vacuum store for a long time to find one that they both felt was durable and would do what I wanted it to do, and he got it on sale!

BUT . . . there's always a "but" isn't there?

There's not one word in the owner's manual about quilting. Not. One. Yet there IS a quilting table extension (purchased separately), so I know it can quilt.

There are pictures on the box of all these special stitches, and only the barest possible directions (and I do use that term loosely) in the owner's manual of how to actually perform those stitches.

It didn't come with a quilting foot, and since it's not a major brand, I have no idea what kind to even LOOK for!

So I went to the website, www.sewtoyota.com, and have never been so underwhelmed. There's like NOTHING there! Pictures of their two sewing machines, but absolutely no helps whatsoever.

I really don't know where to start. This isn't my first sewing machine - I've got my Mother's 1967 Kenmore and 1918 Singer, and have used both of them alot - but I feel absolutely lost here.

Anyone else own a Toyota sewing machine? Any hints?

Nancy

Did you try visiting their European Website at the top of the page? I visited several of the countries listed and found different feet for purchase.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM

You may have a good sewing machine but if it was me as a quilter I would want a different one especially to get
the biggest harp/throat space possible. Something that has more obvious signs for quilting.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 AM

Yes, I thought about that. My Mom's old 1967 Kenmore had a much bigger harp/throat.

When I went to the European Toyota sewing machine site at http://gb.home-sewing.com/en_gb/, I was so shocked at the difference in machines. There's even a machine on that site named the "Quiltmaster" that even comes with all the quilting feet. I wonder why it's not available in the U.S.?!

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
You may have a good sewing machine but if it was me as a quilter I would want a different one especially to get
the biggest harp/throat space possible. Something that has more obvious signs for quilting.