Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Templates >

Templates

Templates

Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I make my own templates out of plexiglass. I use a sharp scribe to trace around the pattern piece onto the plexi and then I have a band saw that I cut out the pattern that I have scribed on the plexi. The template never wears out but then I have lots of scrapes of plexi. the thinner pieces are easier to use. I have heard that you can scribe on plexi and then break it like glass but that has never worked for me.
Lynda
Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 AM

If you have access to a ring saw (usually used for cutting glass or tile), the thin diamond-coated blade should give you a smooth edge on plexiglas. They are water cooled, so it has to be something that can get wet. I've cut several glass templates with mine, and it leaves no sharp edges. Easy to use and not dangerous, as the blade will not cut your fingers!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM

My local window repair . glass cutting store will make templates reasonably. Be sure to measure templates when you pick them up. Sometimes they need to be sanded down a tad. Diane C
Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 AM

I think Lowe's and Home Depot will cut plexiglass to your shape.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Hi, Ladies When ever I need a new template made for a pattern, I take a drawing to my closest glass place and ask them to make me a template out of a piece of used plexi. For a small fee they usually will do it and are very accurate.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 AM

I make my own for the simpler templates. The ones where they are just straight angles, which is almost everything I do. I simply etch the cut with a boxer cutter and then my husband breaks it on the counter edge. When there are barbs left (which isn't very often) he sands them off with emery cloth. A lot cheaper than buying them for all of the different shapes, sizes, etc.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by terri123 View Post
Thanks folks. The shapes I'm looking for are not available. I was given a beautiful
quilt kit for Xmas. Dereck Lockwood's "Stardust". As far as I can tell, if I can't figure out
some templates, it's going to be scissor cutting all the way!
The hardware store won't cut specific plexiglass shapes for you. At least mine won't.
I do have a scroll saw and I'm going to see what I can do with that and a piece of plexi.
But the edges have to be smooth and I think I'll run into trouble with that.
This is one beautiful quilt......but.....
I learned to work with plexiglass in school. Just carefully cut your shapes just slightly larger (1/32 of an inch or less) then use a sanding block to smooth the edges and 'trim' excess until the size is perfect. When you have the size perfected, use higher numbered grit sandpaper to make the edges smooth. A little work, but they will be perfect because you did it yourself.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM

I have a sheet of textured bathroom wall paneling. I think thats what its called. I'm guessing its 1/16th-1/8th thick. i use a box knife to cut a piece I need. And then draw the template on that piece of plastic, and then cut with my box knife. I can send you a sample piece, to get a ideal of what, Im trying to tell you. You can think about it, and then let me know.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Complicated pattern. I also think it might be easier to paper piece it. I might use a template for the curved part.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 AM

What a beautiful pattern! Guess that is why it is listed as "challenging". Happy cutting. Can Keepsake Q offer you help?