Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts. >

i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts.

i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM

I'm sad to hear that you're having so much trouble doing this quilt. I made a wall hanging from this book about 12 years ago. It was for my brother... he was dying of cancer and I finished it and hung it for him the week before he passed. I cried every day that I worked on that quilt and struggled with the directions and the fabric waste just as you are doing. But I am so glad that I did that quilt. He had picked out the fabrics and held on while I finished it. My SIL still has it hanging in her living room so I see it whenever I go over for a visit.... we're good friends so I see it a lot.

I haven't made anything else from the book but I really plan to make a bed quilt adapted from the wall hangings in the book. I think I'll be able to do a better job now.... this is not a quilt that a newby should tackle.

So, I hope you decide to go ahead and finish..... they are beautiful quilts and you have picked some great fabrics for yours. Good luck... keep all of us posted on your progress.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 PM

the tile squares are giving me the most pain. they are very small and it's critical they line up. there are so many seams converging in one spot and to get the narrow seam allowance required i have to feed the fabric right next to the right hand dog. on a different machine i could adjust the needle to the right, but mine only adjusts left. mirroring all my sewing skills to work on the left hand side of the needle is just more mind/body training than i can see myself able to tackle.

the cost of the book when i thought it was lost was prohibitive, and i didn't have much luck finding it in the library system. jackie robinson does sell the individual patterns from her website, but i'm not sure of they come with the general directions. i think they would have to, on further thought.

this too is a test run for a bed sized quilt. if i were to take those tile squares and make them a more reasonable size...say 1" or even 3", the tendency for the machine to balk at the fabric joins would i suspect be more manageable. i also think that some thought and good planning would enable me to use the offcuts from the angle pieces to create visually interesting tile designs without having to do more fidgety piecing. that would be a VERY smart improvement.

i do all my work on a 20 year old janome entry level workhorse. i have a fully tuned singer 401 sitting there, but i think maybe it's time to start saving up for a new machine. this makes me feel all kinds of ways, including disloyal to that stalwart tool that serves me so incredibly well....

thank you so much for your cheers and good words. i like this place so much, and am so thankful you're all out there. it's a lonely thing sometimes, down there in the sewing room for days on end...

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 01-16-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 AM

Go to Jackie's website. She has 2 individual patterns for sale. I agree with stilllock. Takes very precise sewing. But beautiful in the end.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 AM

Wow, I had never heard of these but they sure are beautiful. Probably not something I would take on.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Oh, Aileen, this going to be a stunner! It doesn't look as though you are very far into it. I think once you get the hang of it, you'll feel better. Imagine the sense of accomplishment and improved piecing skills you'll have when you're done! Don't give up, I want to see this beauty when it's finished!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Jackie Robinson's book is for sale at the Falling Water Museum Store for $25.95.
http://www.fallingwatermuseumstore.o...ght/4,837.html

Jackie's website: http://www.animasquilts.com/Patterns_FLWright.html

Last edited by janeknapp; 01-17-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 AM

Aaaargh! I already have so many quilt ideas in my "to make" binder. I guess one more won't make much of a difference. LOL
Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

You are doing a wonderful job, really beautiful!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 AM

My grandson attends Florida Southern College in Lakeland, FL. A majority of their buildings are Frank Loyd Wright designs. Beautiful campus. This is an idea for a donation to the school. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 AM

I searched for it and after seeing the prices was in shock until I happened to click on this page. I ordered it - less than $6 shipping. Maybe I should have ordered 2 and sold one for double the price LOL!! I've never seen these patterns and have been struggling with what I should make my son - he loves FLW and this looks perfect!!

I love your colors and it looks perfect!

Originally Posted by janeknapp View Post
Jackie Robinson's book is for sale at the Falling Water Museum Store for $25.95.
http://www.fallingwatermuseumstore.o...ght/4,837.html

Jackie's website: http://www.animasquilts.com/Patterns_FLWright.html