Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are You Intimidated by Your UFO's? >

Are You Intimidated by Your UFO's?

Are You Intimidated by Your UFO's?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I am good at ignoring them. Though I am trying to tackle a few more to get them done, and out of the way.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 AM
cjr

I love the challenge of learning a new whatever. i've decided this year I'm going to finish some. Already finished a cathedral windows tabletopper. Working on 2 more. but have decided to partially reorganize my sewing room. first
Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 AM

I have a few that don't exactly intimidate, but come close. However, I also want to finish them. It's a conundrum.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Mine don't yell at me, they sing to me and try to seduce me into working on them.

Unfortunately sometimes other projects just sing a little louder. LOL

I'm actually looking forward to this weekend - I get 3 days off and have no plans other than to finish up some UFO's that have been singing very pretty songs to me lately.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM

I completely agree with JenniePenny (post #18). Well said.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Funny you should ask. I have just about finished by annual reorganization project in my sewing room. I have cataloged UFOs. Some were class projects and not necessarily intended to be finished because I had used unloved fabric so I could learn a technique. Those two went in the scrap bin. One was a DWR that someone else could not complete. I was sure I could and even spent a lot of time disassembling it, pressing and placing sections in plastic bags with labels. The problem was that the choice of fabrics was definitely skewed and hodge-podge. I am sure I will not like it if I do finish it. So it is off the the second hand store. Maybe someone will count it a real find there. There are only six left and I randomly attached a number to each one and will do one each month. If I don't finish by the end of the year they will also go to the scrap bin or the second hand store. I have honestly gotten to a point that I promise to finish what I start. If I take another class I will use fabric I like so I can finish it happily. I think about the money invested and I don't want to see it go to waste. I have a long list of things I want to make and lots of stash and I promise not to let 'myself' defeat my aspirations.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Obviously I'm not terrible guilt ridden about UFO's or there wouldn't be so many. The one UFO I do feel some guilt over is the quilt my sister asked me to help her with for her great -granddaughter, with simple squares, but it had to be a twin. Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to start it when she suddenly passed away, just a couple months after getting to see and hold her GGD. Because it was so difficult for me to even start, she may be in grade school before she gets it. I will say that I finished one twin size quilt, then in my infinite "wisdom" I decided to make another one for the next GGD, yes I'm a glutton for punishment. The second top is done, it just needs to be sandwiched, but before I could do that I had to have shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff, which sidelined me. It is definitely going to be done this year, hopefully before summer.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM

I don't think a quilt is a UFO until it hasn't been worked on for at least 5 years. Sometimes the things I am doing for myself have to be put on a back burner while gifts or other items, like a grandson needing a coat modified to be part of a costume for a comic convention, are completed. Lori Kennedy from the inbox jaunt said hers go in the incubator. I like that. No more UFOs.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM

I am in no way intimidated by my UFOs! I am a member of the UFO Challenge of the month. So Hah! to my UFOs!!! Their months are limited and they can hear the fat lady sing... well yes, that is me singing, but it's cuz I'm happy to be making progress!!
Right now I am tackling my orphan blocks and turning them into a wildly exciting and colorful fun quilt!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM

heck no-sometimes it is giant.I piece for a long time-then I quilt for a long time.