Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay??? >

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Old 01-18-2014, 05:54 PM

It gets down to supply and demand for determining pricing. It is a poor business investment to open an entity for profit where there is surplus supply for the demand. If it is not worthwhile, find another product to peddle.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 PM

This has probably been touched on but my wife and I both really enjoy spending time together and one way we do this is by quilting. In all honesty though, we would look like hoarders if we kept everything we made!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 PM

Dunster & Margee - I have to agree with you both. I have made several quilts on comission and have felt pressured all the way. I did get paid more than double my investment. But I have sold several that I made "Just because I wanted to" for the cost of materials. That way I could buy more material to make more "Just because I wanted to"
quilts.

Originally Posted by margee View Post
Dunster, this is exactly how I feel. I do the quilt for enjoyment and don't want the pressure of trying to always please someone. If someone is happy with it and gives me some money, then I will be able to buy more fabric to make another quilt. On a fixed income it all helps. However, if a quilter does it for a business and can get the money she wants for the quilt then more power to her. It's a choice.
margee
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 PM

Wise understanding of other's and yourself
Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have a different take on it. If you're not making quilts as a business, you are probably doing it because you enjoy the process. Once a quilt is finished, the money for fabric has been spent and the time you spent making it is gone, never to be recovered. It would be nice to be able to sell the quilt for what you have invested, but it's rarely possible to do so. After all, if everyone could get paid a reasonable wage for indulging in their hobby, how many people would have outside jobs? When a quilt is finished, you may decide that you would rather have a little money (to pay rent, buy food, pay for insurance, help out a relative, donate to charity, buy more fabric... whatever) than keep the quilt. You're not really selling your quilt-making services, as you would be doing if you were making a quilt on consignment. Instead you're exchanging an already-made quilt for some money. It may not be a good deal from a business sense - but you still may feel that you're better off with the money than with the quilt. I don't think it cheapens your labor, which you actually spent doing something you loved. And I don't fault people who don't see the value we do in quilts. It's our hobby and obsession, not theirs.
I agree with Dunster 100%.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 AM

We have a big family and I am kept busy replacing old quilts with new ones. They last for years and are very much appreciated. So I have no motivation to sell any of them. I make mostly from my stash now in an effort to use as much as I can and my daughter quilts them for me. I have made quilts on commission and never felt it was worth it so don't do it any more. I make them as a hobby and if a family member loves it, it will probably go home with them. I can make whatever I want, denims, t-shirts, scrap quilts, new patterns or something I made up and someone always loves them. Also contribute some charity quilts if I can get them out the door before a family member grabs them.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have a different take on it. If you're not making quilts as a business, you are probably doing it because you enjoy the process. Once a quilt is finished, the money for fabric has been spent and the time you spent making it is gone, never to be recovered. It would be nice to be able to sell the quilt for what you have invested, but it's rarely possible to do so. After all, if everyone could get paid a reasonable wage for indulging in their hobby, how many people would have outside jobs? When a quilt is finished, you may decide that you would rather have a little money (to pay rent, buy food, pay for insurance, help out a relative, donate to charity, buy more fabric... whatever) than keep the quilt. You're not really selling your quilt-making services, as you would be doing if you were making a quilt on consignment. Instead you're exchanging an already-made quilt for some money. It may not be a good deal from a business sense - but you still may feel that you're better off with the money than with the quilt. I don't think it cheapens your labor, which you actually spent doing something you loved. And I don't fault people who don't see the value we do in quilts. It's our hobby and obsession, not theirs.
Agreed completely with Dunster. Quilts are like works of art to me. Like all "starving artists", only a few quilters are going to be able to make a lot of money doing it. Creating something of beauty and seeing the pleasure it brings is enough to keep us going. Small fees keep the supplies coming. They are rarely indicative of the value of the artwork itself.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lynn Street in MI View Post
Agreed completely with Dunster. Quilts are like works of art to me. Like all "starving artists", only a few quilters are going to be able to make a lot of money doing it. Creating something of beauty and seeing the pleasure it brings is enough to keep us going. Small fees keep the supplies coming. They are rarely indicative of the value of the artwork itself.
Also well said. (As also Dunster)
Old 01-19-2014, 05:21 AM

I picked up a bunch of hand-knit and crochet throws and table toppers at an estate sale. I asked one of the children why they weren't keeping their mother's beautiful handmade things and was told she was so prolific, all the children and grandchildren already had a houseful of things she'd done - they simply couldn't absorb any more, so they decided to let some go.

While I wish people would attach more value to what they put into anything hand-crafted, I kind of understand the mentality. If you like crafting, you have to have SOME outlet for the end product or you'll end up with a house packed to the gills. I helped clean out the home of a needlepointer after she died. There were dozens of projects that were done, then put into storage, usually in the original plastic bag (complete with leftover thread, and instructions). Think of your children! I figure my children will have enough work to do dealing with my supplies and stash - they shouldn't have to deal with things I make then put in plastic bins. I'd rather sell something (or donate it) than make it and never have it used.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 AM

I have a quilt on Etsy for sale. I priced it at what I thought was a reasonable price and no one looked at it. I then offered a discount tor LEOs and got a few lookers but no takers. I then lowered the price and it still hasn't sold. I think people don't understand the hours, work and materials that go into this work of love and warmth. They think that even a well made, handmade quilt, should sell for $50. I find it discouraging and may try to find another outlet.