Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay??? >

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 PM

Default Selling quilts

[QUOTE=PlanoDebbie;6519816]I've often thought it might be fun to sell quilts on either Etsy or Ebay, but when I see prices for full sized quilts selling for maybe $25.00 over the cost of materials it amazes me.]

There are many reasons why quilters sew. I have given most of my quilts away to friends and relatives.
Bette
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM

I think that the market for a handmade quilt with a big pricetag is extremely limited. The person who is willing to pay a lot of money is going to want something very specific. The idea that one of us can make a quilt, put it up for sale and them hopefully stumble over just the right buyer, I believe, is pretty wishful thinking. The fact that we have spent a lot of money and time creating something that we think is fabulous means absolutely nothing in the marketplace. If it's making money that is the "thing", then I think commissioned quilts are the only way to go.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Welcome to the real world. Not everyone gets compensated for what they are worth. It happens in the business world too. If someone is happy making quilts and developing their skill level and wish to sell them at cost or a little over so be it. If the market isn't there, the market isn't there.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post

I think
Skratchie also made a valid point in that if someone is making quilts as a business why aren't you treating it like a business and buying supplies at wholesale.

This has been one of my questions I've asked myself from the beginning. If a business in my small town in FL went to Walmart (another retail store) to buy their stuff so they could resell it, they would soon be out of business!

You really need to find a cheaper source of fabric if you want to sell and make money. Somehow. Somewhere.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM

I understand having some money is better than none. The quilts in China are large and are cheap. It is harder to sell quality. For me I love trying new lap quilts and then finding a home for them. It is more fun for me. Once I start machining the tops I will probably think different, hope not. Chrissy
Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM

I have been selling my quilts for over 20 yrs. Not a lot of them, but about what I can make. I have some on Etsy and I also have a facebook page where I post the items I make and what I am working on that will someday be posted on my Etsy site. I don't buy wholesale mainly because I do not a resale tax number, the other reason is that for every piece of fabric I would like to put in a quilt I would have to purchase a whole bolt of that fabric....that is usually 15 yds. I make many quilt with 8-12 different fabrics. All of my quilts are one of a kind, meaning I don't use the same pattern and fabric for more than one quilt.
I would not be a very happy person if was not able to make quilts. I have more quilts than I can possibly ever use and so does my kids, grands and greats.
I probably sell too cheap, but it enough for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I have been selling my quilts for over 20 yrs. Not a lot of them, but about what I can make. I have some on Etsy and I also have a facebook page where I post the items I make and what I am working on that will someday be posted on my Etsy site. I don't buy wholesale mainly because I do not a resale tax number, the other reason is that for every piece of fabric I would like to put in a quilt I would have to purchase a whole bolt of that fabric....that is usually 15 yds. I make many quilt with 8-12 different fabrics. All of my quilts are one of a kind, meaning I don't use the same pattern and fabric for more than one quilt.
I would not be a very happy person if was not able to make quilts. I have more quilts than I can possibly ever use and so does my kids, grands and greats.
I probably sell too cheap, but it enough for me.

Do you sell them? When you put them on FB, then, do you have a lot of interest. It looks like your quilts are first rate! Very pretty.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Do you sell them? When you put them on FB, then, do you have a lot of interest. It looks like your quilts are first rate! Very pretty.
I get several likes, but don't actually put them up for sale on my FB page. I'm getting extra people seeing my items from likes that people leave.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 AM

I really like Dunster's answer. It makes a lot of sense to me. But this was a good discussion and one I have wondered about whenever I see prices like this.
Pat
Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Cheap quilts

Hold up your quilt to the cheap ones. Much difference.