Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with Edison belt driven motor please! >

Help with Edison belt driven motor please!

Help with Edison belt driven motor please!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM

Default Help with Edison belt driven motor please!

OK, I have really messed up now! I am used to working on treadles but, just got an Edison 15-90 Clone. The machine is awesome, the cabinet is pretty, the wires looked good to Dh (electrician) so I plugged it in and ran the machine. All good, but I noted a tiny amount of smoke coming from the motor and figured it was from dust since the whole machine and cabinet was sooo dusty. So, I decided now was the time to figure a motor out, open it up and see if I could clean it up a little.

I got the nuts loose and took off the cover, that was good, then there were two more nuts holding the long screws in place for the other half of the cover, got those off. When I started sliding the other half of the cover off two pieces of square metal and two springs fell out of somewhere before I got a chance to see where and photograph it. I think they came out of the two copper dealy bobs on top but not sure. I have a picture with a q tip sticking in one of the copper dealy bobs and a q tip resting on top of the one of the square metal thingys if someone could tell me where in the world they go back!

I would so appreciate it if anyone can point me to some sort of diagram for this kind of motor too, as I have searched all over and cannot find one. Clueless here!

Freaking because this is the original motor that says Edison on it that came with the machine and I really want to keep it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457945[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	edisonmotor002_zps8c249d29.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	457945  
Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Banned

Sounds like the contact brushes (little blocks, no "brushes") and springs came out. (I'm also a treadle person, so I will leave the electro-tech to others)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 PM

Here is a better photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457949[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	edisonmotor2002_zpsada2a781.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	457949  
Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Sounds like the contact brushes (little blocks, no "brushes") and springs came out. (I'm also a treadle person, so I will leave the electro-tech to others)
Yep, I can dismantle a treadle and put it back together in nothing flat. Can get a frozen up treadle head unstuck and fix the finish but, this electic stuff is greek to me as evidenced by my scientific, techno terms like "dealy bob" and "dohickey", LOL.

Was trying myself because evidently the motor was wire after the plug wire was inserted through a small hole in the cabinet so the only way to get the motor loose from the cabinet would be to either cut the wire or take the plug off. Shoulda done it and sent this to someone who knows what they are doing!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 PM

Nevermind! Woot! I figured it out myself. Then when Dh got home from his meeting I had him look at it before I put the casing back on and he said I did it right! Plugged it in, runs good, no smoke so it must have been the TON of dust I cleaned out that was making it do that. Just finished running stitches on a swatch and it sews GOOD. Love this one! I feel so empowered now, may take the truck engine apart tomorrow and rebuild it LOL.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RebelDigger View Post
....I feel so empowered now, may take the truck engine apart tomorrow and rebuild it LOL.

Awesome!!! I taught my Daughters to work on their own cars. My youngest and I are replacing her transmission in the next week or two. She loves talking to guys at college who as soon as she start to say her Jeep has an issue they start offering to "help". She says it is so cool to see the look on the guys (and other girls) faces when she says "nahh, I do my own maintenance, I know it is done right"