Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house... >

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 PM

I am using kitchen cabinets to organize my sewing/quilting/crafting area, check craig"s list or your local Restore, or maybe a used furniture store. Used furniture is paintable to go with any color scheme, I like my stuff in labeled bins, boxes and drawers, I work better when I have an open space.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 AM

I find it hard to be creative about storage too. My room is an utter disaster as I'm trying to use up or at least cut up my non quilting fabric to get it out of there. I bought a couple of squares of premounted pegboard from Walmart and hung one by my machine for the embroidery hoops and another for my rulers. I don't have a lot of wall space so that helped. Someone on this board painted their pegboard and organized it- was so cool and pretty.coordinated with quilts and curtains, pegboard could be pretty as well as functional. Good luck with your project and please post pics when finished.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
I think you have a wonderful room! In MHO, a sewing room/studio is a "working" room. Working rooms do appear cluttered because they are "working" rooms. The beautiful thing about having such a wonderful room is, "You never have to put your work away!" I remember when my daughter was a kid, I had to sew in the dining room and put everything away including my sewing machine. It was very hard to stay motivated.

Here you have the perfect room. What anyone else thinks (including me) doesn't matter. It's your room. Sometimes I feel that my sewing area is cluttered also and a day spent dusting and putting non-essentials away usually does the trick. I too have a large pegboard and, yes, it does look like a store - it is supposed to look like a store. Everything is there "in sight". If I put all of that away, I will forget I have it and buy a duplicate. I love, love, love my pegboard. I really don't have a lot of wall space because I have 3 large windows. They are great! One of my windows is covered with a piece of solid insulation and then I have a flannel piece over it for a design wall.

I too have a problem with my main sewing machine being too high. I can't change that so I take frequent breaks and watch my posture. Try to keep my chest forward to ease my back and that helps.

I really love your room. Try to change your thoughts about it and see if it doesn't look much more inviting. Remember, it's a "work" room and not your den. Enjoy!!! Just start sewing something you love and by thankful that you have such a great place to sew. Soft music, good lighting and your good to go! Good luck!
Took the words right out of my mouth. Sometimes we all don't see how lucky we are to have what we have.....human nature...
Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Love the room! I have to share my sewing with our school desks since we homeschool. I"m a total clutterbug, but, even I would feel a little claustrophobic with so much stuff up on the walls. Having a "cute" color schemed room would be nice but it's a lot of work to get there which takes away from the sewing time too. BUT, if that would inspire you you should go for it. My girlfriend hangs all her rulers on little hooks on the back of the door so they're out of sight. I don't have a door so mine are in a stand. Good luck figuring it out.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Call me strange, but I like that room. Except for all the frilly stuff under the tables, I would not change anything. It appears organized and clean. I would personalize it a little bit but would not do much else. I like the look of "industrialized" because it helps me to find what I need and does not take my focus away from what I need to be doing.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 AM

My goodness, you are so lucky to have all that space, I'm sure many of us woud love to have your problems.x
Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me View Post
Over the years I've posted pictures my sewing room in various stages of "Perfect" (at the time) to complete and utter disarray. Although I rarely post these days, the daily digest is still my mid-morning ritual. I feel the need to post because I'm really needing help.

Although everything in the sewing room is seemingly put away.. all I see is clutter and it is driving me insane.
I find the space uninspiring and honestly, I don't enjoy being in there much. In fact, it's been almost two months since I've worked on anything other than sewing patches on Girl Scout uniforms.

There are two rolling stainless steel cabinets in the foyer that are full of fabric. More fabric is stored under the tables. My big board ironing board is put away next to the rolling cabinets in the foyer. I have a cutting station and GO! cutting station... and my sewing table. The gate-leg table is usually folded down and out of the way. Although not seen in the picture, to the left side as you look from the sewing room into the dining room is another sewing table with my Viking Rose machine inset. My Viking Ruby is on the main table.. I need to either figure out how to turn that table into a "recessed" sewing table or step back and punt. The table is from Ikea but it's hollow core - very unlikely that it would support that machine if compromised by cutting the top. Not to mention making it so that I can remove it from the inset to use the embroidery unit. ugh. Does anyone else have that problem? I have a Sew Steady for it, but the height is wrong and my arms, shoulders and neck ache from the position. I have the chair raised fully. Much higher and my legs will touch the bottom of the table!

Back to the clutter.. it is pretty much all in boxes with lids or drawers but it still looks cluttered to me. And that pegboard! Ugh! One of my friends came in the other day and said it looks like a store.
I've now taken everything down off the pegboard except the rulers and a few other items. I'm thinking of cutting the pegboard and using only a smaller portion... Maybe framing it and mounting it to the wall instead of hanging from the picture rail. I've labeled the contents of the boxes on index cards and inserted them into the front ends of the boxes to hide the contents somewhat, but it really hasn't helped.

Take a look and see that you think. With the exception of finding a new table for my machine, I don't want to buy any other furniture. In-between the GO! cutting station, next to the purple chair and the gate-leg table, is an old Singer 714 student machine from the early 70s. I am donating it to the church for our upcoming spring bazaar... so that will be out of the room soon. (Not soon enough!)

So, if I've not put you to sleep with my mini-novel of woes.. I'm needing ideas because at this point I'm stuck. I love the sewing rooms that have a theme and feel inviting. (..think Karen and her blog - Sew Many Ways!) I'm having a hard time seeing something like that in my space.
We have a couple of 4' x 8' pegboards in our office that we use for display boards showing a variety of the parts that we make for the auto industry. We've covered the boards with the poly felt (recycled plastic bottles). We used black to make our brightly painted and our chromed parts really pop on the boards. Looks great and it is easy to push the peg holders into the holes through the felt.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon View Post
I know you don't want to buy any furniture but would there be space to get a wardrobe cabinet or something like that with doors and take some of the boxes off the walls. It would be nice looking but then you could store your fabric inside it instead of on the shoe boxes on the wall? Just a thought.

My suggestion, too. If you can get those boxes behind doors, resulting in clean lines, the room will look less busy.
Having said that, I'd love to have this large space dedicated to sewing/quilting/crafting!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM

I'm short and couldn't find any table the correct height for my various sewing machines. I looked at hydraulic lift tables, but too pricey. I ended up buying an ECR4Kids adjustable table and adding the acrylic sewing tables to my machines. My table will now adjust low enough that I am able to keep both feet solidly on the floor, which really helps keeping my chair from escaping! It's a breeze to switch out my machines, without having to worry about the incorrect cut-out in the table top.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM

What an interesting thread this is.

Last spring I moved from a shared guest room/quilting room crammed full of furniture to a dedicated quilting room. I started with a clean slate keeping only a dresser to store fabric and a small book shelf. I moved my 2 sewing stations down and set them up in the middle of the room so I could sew while I stripped wallpaper and painted the walls.

During this time I learned a valuable lesson. I was so much happier and felt more creative in that bare room! After I finished the painting I had a big cutting table made for me with storage underneath. I decided I didn't want any more furniture in there (I had also planned a separate pressing station). I filled up my closet and the enclosed storage spaces slowly as I moved in only what I use regularly. The rest is stored elsewhere in the house.

Less is more for me! I had so idea how distracted I was by having stuff in sight everywhere. Now I have one small pile of pretty fabrics for eye candy and the rest is out of sight. Instead of all plastic containers I am using some baskets and pretty boxes that I've bought during sales.

Maybe you could try just draping some pretty stash fabric over some of your storage areas if you can't relocate it elsewhere temporarily? Like some of the others suggested... A large cabinet would go a long way to contain your stuff if you could find an inexpensive one.

Let us know what you do to reclaim your space!