Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting scares me. >

Machine quilting scares me.

Machine quilting scares me.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 AM

Start by doodling on a muslin sandwich then a few small projects. I started by doing stitch in the ditch on a baby quilt then just continued. Two years ago, I quilted a king size quilt for my brother's 50th. wedding anniversary. So just keep going.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:59 AM

My first 3 quilts were raggedy quilts. By the time I was done snipping all those edges, any thing was preferable. My next quilt was a totally off the cuff all flannel reversible throw for myself. I meandered (badly) all over it and stitched up the binding. Done deal. Every quilt gets better. I prefer FMQ to walking foot by a mile. Even SID is easier with the free motion quilt. Try quilting some shopping bags, place mats(if that's your thing) or just do some throws that people are going to use all rumpled up. I only get uptight about quilting quilts that are going to be laid out flat on a bed. Everything else is simply for utility.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 AM

Get some batting and muslin, practice on BIG pieces like a quilt size. Do a few of these and you will gain a lot of confidence. And remember no one's quilting is perfect.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM

Some really good ideas here, as always. If you possibly can, take a class at a local quilt shop, or quilt show. Practice and play, and enjoy the process. Do not expect perfection of yourself. We are our own worst enemy when we do that.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM

Machine Quilting just takes practice so I think the advice of trying it on small projects is a good suggestion. The books by Harriet Hargrave are also good because she was one of the first to pioneer this technique. Here is her website (her shop is in the Denver area): http://www.harriethargrave.com/in-st...hedule-31.html

I also hand quilt, and I think it is worth it to try machine quilting but I found that I still prefer hand quilting for some things and you may find you either like machine quilting or go back to other methods. Have fun. Joyce
Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 AM

Try hand quilting, with or without the hoop! I personally prefer it. It reminds me of home and makes a quilt very personal.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM

My daughter ties all her quilts. They look great. I do stitch in the ditch etc.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 AM

I am not new a quilting but I was afraid to try machine quitting on my DSM. I finally jumped right in (after several years of looking at 3 quilts I made for my DGDs). It was hard since my machine has a small harp, but turned out pretty good and was fun. I still have a little fear--I think it's because I'm a perfectionist, but I'm beginning to enjoy it and I surprised myself when I found out that I'm pretty good at it. One thing I was taught was to follow the pattern with your finger about 3 times. That trains your muscles and makes it easier to follow a pattern. Good luck and I think you will be surprised by how good you'll feel when you are done. It's like doodling with thread.
Sue
Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM

well of course you can practice on mug rugs, small projects but if you want that quilt done, just use a simple decorative stitch and stitch over the seams ... it is pretty, you don't need to worry if the stitch is hitting the ditch etc.

just a thought ...
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

like someone said yesterday-on another thread-just do a few donation/charity kids quilts. Kids will see the tops, feel the warmth and not care if the quilting is perfect. They want to be warm and feel the cheery love