Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
US Olympic Athlete's Opening Clothing "American Patchwork Quilt" Inspired >

US Olympic Athlete's Opening Clothing "American Patchwork Quilt" Inspired

US Olympic Athlete's Opening Clothing "American Patchwork Quilt" Inspired

Old 01-25-2014, 05:04 AM

I read all of the pro and con comments and do love the fact that they were made in the USA. However, regardless of the outside design, one needs to think about WHO is wearing them. It is who is "inside" of the clothing. Our wonderful United States athletes are outstanding young people, who have trained relentlessly over the years in order to make us proud of them. Instead of worrying about designs, we need to pray for their safety.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by SSTeacher View Post
I read all of the pro and con comments and do love the fact that they were made in the USA. However, regardless of the outside design, one needs to think about WHO is wearing them. It is who is "inside" of the clothing. Our wonderful United States athletes are outstanding young people, who have trained relentlessly over the years in order to make us proud of them. Instead of worrying about designs, we need to pray for their safety.
I can certainly agree with this... they have worked hard to get where they are, they will represent us well, and they need our prayers. I heard one athlete told his parents to stay home. Can you imagine not being there to watch your son compete, or being the son knowing his family wasn't there to support him? It's that serious. Prayers for sure.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
Am I the only one that thinks they are ugly? I think the sweaters look like ugly Christmas sweaters. At least they are made in the USA.
Anyone see Jimmy Fallon last night? His "Thank You" notes called it looking like an American flag threw up on a Christmas sweater. While I don't care for the design, I do appreciate that they were made in the USA and that our wonderful athletes will be wearing them.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM

I love America. I love quilting. Man those outfits are U G L Y.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 AM

Am I the only one that thinks they are ugly? I think the sweaters look like ugly Christmas sweaters. At least they are made in the USA.
You are definitely not alone. They do stand out if that was the point.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 AM

When I saw the Ralph Lauren Olympic-wear.....I immediately thought of this jacket pattern that I bought in Paducah around 2005. I have never made it . It won an AQS award in 1991. I may have to do some stash bustin and be "in style" for game watching.

i was so new to quilting, this pattern caught my eye and I impulsively bought it. I thought I would tone the colors down if I made it though I do love brights. It does scream the early 1990's.

frankly, the Ralph designs look more like Tommy Hilfiger . Yes, they are to be seen in a crowd. Think the OpeningCeremonies and the Closing.

sandy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	458514  

Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-25-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 AM

I think they look like a Christmas outfit and not only that, they have totally emmasculated the men. Disgusting............
Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 AM

*** YEP, they are tacky.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

They trying to keep low key. I'm not crazy about them either. I'm more worried about their sell being. Sending prayers from the gulf for their safe keeping and many golds to bring home.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Wow, that was a LOT of branding for RL. I think they perhaps went overboard with their own brand. Olympics is about the athletes not RL.