Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need the best book around. >

I need the best book around.

I need the best book around.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM

I like the Quilters Guide by Fons and Porter.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:24 AM

Default Quilters complete guide

I use the Quilters Complete Guide by Fons and Porter. The best book and I still refer to it years later.

QUOTE=Annie Pearl;6530832]I am a beginner quilter who needs a good "quilters bible" or book that has everything I need to know in it. I have several books that have odds and ends of information in them but I have to go from book to book to find what I need to know. Amazon.com has a book titled Quilts,Quilts,Quilts that is supposed to be good according to Keepsake Quilting. Let me know what you think is the best book to buy so I won't be book poor.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-25-2014, 04:44 AM

Quilting for Dummies, is the best book I have found.

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am a beginner quilter who needs a good "quilters bible" or book that has everything I need to know in it. I have several books that have odds and ends of information in them but I have to go from book to book to find what I need to know. Amazon.com has a book titled Quilts,Quilts,Quilts that is supposed to be good according to Keepsake Quilting. Let me know what you think is the best book to buy so I won't be book poor.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:54 AM

I usually go to the internet and do a search for whatever then save it to my quilting flash drive. I'll pick up a magazine if they have something in there that I like. I have a book or two but don't use them much.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have many but Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting is my favorite. It has photographs instead of drawings which I find very helpful. I think there is a new edition out now.
Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide is my go-to also. I use it often.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 AM

I have many but Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting is my favorite. It has photographs instead of drawings which I find very helpful. I think there is a new edition out now.
I also like this book a lot & I also like The Quilting Bible by Creative Publishing International. They both have lots of good information & lots & lots of pictures. I don't think there is 1 book with everything but there is also lots of information on the internet & the Missouri Star Quilt Company with Jenny Doan, she is fantastic & keeps her instructions clear & simple.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting is my quilting bible also.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Cool I third this rec

This is the best reference book for basic quilting techniques, hand and machine. It's full of cutting charts, how to figure binding and backing - it's great. No patterns, just techniques.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 AM

second, third, and fourth the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I have all my students buy it because the photographs are so clear and the text is so well written. If I could own only one book, that would be it.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:55 AM

The reference for my first two quilting classes was Quilts, Quilts, Quilts It is an amazing book. However, the earlier editions have a fair number of errors. Make sure you get a recent edition so all of the corrections have been incorporated. That being said, the projects are gorgeous.