Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to find a lost needle... HELP??? >

how to find a lost needle... HELP???

how to find a lost needle... HELP???

Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 AM

An old trick I used to find dropped contact lenses: put a nylon (or other thin cloth) over the end of your vacuum hose and hold onto it. Turn on the vac and sweep it across the floor or wherever you (think you) dropped the needle. You'll "catch" all kinds of things! Works every time for me!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 AM

I to hope you find it the painless way. I did not and after having it break off in my foot, I was a trip to the hospital and $$$. I drop a needle or pin now, I look for it really careful. Flash light, hand on the chair, vacuum, husband too.
good Luck.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 AM

wellphooey, that is a great tip! Thanks, I am going to remember that!

maryfrang, Same thing happened to me. Although, since the broken off part was lodged next to my big toe, the Dr recommended to leave it. It wasn't going to hurt anything so that's what we did. What I learned from this is not to use my clothing as my pin cushion because you forget they are there and the needles may fall out in unsuspecting places.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 AM

Maybe try putting an old piece of your nylons on the end of the vacuum held on with a rubber band and clean around the area you think you lost it........the nylon will prevent it from going INTO the vacuum hose and will allow you to see the needle when you find it......also good for lost earrings, etc...
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Turn the lights off at night and look with a torch (just like they do on CSI) It truly does help. I found this out during a black out.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 AM

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me.
I did what you said, check clothes first, quilt top second, then floor (dont forget the chair)
I have found it as far away as about 2 yards in the carpet!
If I have done all of the above to no avail, I always pray to Saint Anthony.
He is patron of lost (items and souls!)
I always find it.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I used to lose needles all the time and couldn't find them. I didn't drop them, I'd put them in my big tomato pin cushion and then they were gone. I was worried all the time that someone would step on a needle or that the dog would get stuck by one. The dog got that pin cushion ( don't know why he liked that) and it started leaking the stuffing so I decided to take it apart. That's when I found my needles..... over 200 of them. Come to find out, my two oldest kids were poking the needles in when they'd see them. And the tomato was so big that the needles would disappear. They had never told me....it was a game to them..... thought it was funny that I couldn't find the needles. I haven't had to buy a needle for years. My kids are in their 40s now ..... in their own homes. I never lose a needle that I haven't found since they've moved away.

Good luck on finding your needle. That can be so frustrating.
What a hysterical story! You have very spirited children!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I know metal can be metallic colored. Why can't needles be in color?
I have a set of non quilting needles that are colored but they do not go thru the fabric easily. I should show this post to my daughter, she is constantly complaining about me loosing needles or pins. I hate when I loose them but it is not done on purpose. I am aways afraid that someone or one of the dogs is going to find it.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:24 AM

I lost a needle whilst hand quilting and never did find it, even when we moved house it still never turned up.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 AM

I would suggest getting a magnet. You can pick them up in a hardware store and not have to pay an arm and leg.