Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting? >

this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting?

this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Fascinating! I hope someone tries it and gives us feedback on how it works!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM

The information was great but the highly decorated machine was too distracting!!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
this is exactly why people get confused...wrong terminology! She is NOT doing free motion quilting.,.she is doing embroidery..or Thread play!
Thanks for the explanation Jacquie. I was a little perplexed when she mentioned stabilizer during the video. You saved me some $$. I'm such a new tool junkie.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:13 PM

you learn to do this with NO hoops either...just google "thread play" and read up on it, or watch a video...Debbie Hartman, Libby Lehman, they all do thread play like this, on a regular machine and NO hoops!
I Googled as you indicated (never thought of the term "thread play") and came up with Amazon books (one of my favorite stomping grounds) - and one book was "Dancing with Threads" - you can review part of it online. It covers thread art and free-motion quilting and is an eye-opener. Along the same lines as discussed here but more intricate - and in that case she uses a glove(s) and suggests a coated sheet to make the fabric slide well.

Anyway, this is an interesting thread (pardon the pun). :-) The hoops sound like one good idea but at $109, I am tempted to keep thinking and looking some more.

Marysewfun
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM

This is really interesting. Really like these hoops. Thanks sew much for sharing.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM

I was practicing free motion quilting on a pot holder and finished thinking boy it sure has gotten easier. Must be practice. Then I looked and realized that I had not put the foot on for quilting. It was so so much easier. Now I wonder why we have to use a foot. I see that her video is for embroidery but the same applies quilting. If you can not use a foot when using the hoop why not when not using a hoop! I can tell you I have done it time and time again. Just for small things so far but if it works on small it will work on large. The largest I have done is a place mat. I am just practicing before I do a quilt. I think you all should try it. You are going to like it so much more. The reason is nothing is in your way as far as seeing what you are doing. I am so much more relaxed. I put the foot back on and did not like it at all. I am now footless confirmed. And I don't use any hoop or anything.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I have used a regular thin embroidery hoop to do this on my machine. Machines use to not have a darning foot so all free sewing (darning) was done without a foot. The hoop will keep your fingers safe. Use a stabilizer to eliminate the gathering effect.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by mbailey View Post
Does anyone know where these hoops can be purchased at. i really like them got to have.
Clair Rowley is the inventer of "Creative Feet". You can go to www.creativefeet.com to find her website. I purchased some of her products years ago...long before I had an embroidery machine and long before I had a machine with all the fancy stitches. I purchased the "Pearls and Piping",Sequins and Ribbon", and "Satin Edge" feet along with the manual. They work great!!! I have been looking at these "Octagon" hoops as well and trying to make a decision as to whether or not I would use them enough to be worth it for me. Having used her other products, I would imagine these octagon hoops would work well also. Let us know what you decide .
Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 PM

this is exactly why people get confused...wrong terminology! She is NOT doing free motion quilting.,.she is doing embroidery..or Thread play!
I haven't yet watched the video, but Clare does free motion quilt with her Octi-Hoops as well as free motion embroidery. I just saw her demo them today at Road to CA Quilt Show.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM

You can use a darning spring also. It attaches to your needle bar. I have used one but not for a long time.

http://www.thesewbox.com/2009/06/att...ur-sewing.html