Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How did it take me this long? >

How did it take me this long?

How did it take me this long?

Old 01-26-2014, 05:56 AM

been there, done that, not fun. something HOPE to never do again. although cut the side out of my medium finger last week and have not been able to quilt all week, hopping maybe today.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 AM

Yes, I've hit my finger with the needle a couple of times -- but not to the extent some have here! Please tell me you didn't go back to sewing after drinking a glass of wine, though! THAT'S when I'd really do some damage, if it was me! One glass of wine and I'm waaayyy too relaxed to be doing anything involving machinery of any kind.....
Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 AM

I hate to tell you this, but the glass of wine on the side does no good. One must consume it.

Welcome to our club!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 AM

I did this also, almost a year ago, after sewing for many years. I had always thought, how would someone do that? Well, now I know! LOL! Was doing applique, needle went in right pointer fingernail, came out the side of my finger, and the needle broke. Freaked me out, but I just pulled it out, stuck my finger in a cup of peroxide, never went to doctor or anything, and actually wasn't even really too sore. Still have indented spot on that fingernail though.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM

I did that once when I worked at a factory sewing on an industrial sewing machine and like you the first thing I did was yank it out. It would have healed faster if I had not yanked but that is a reflex. lol
Old 01-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
I finally sewed my finger today. That would probably have been enough, but I instinctively pulled my finger away, which effectively ripped the side of the [pointer] finger away. I did not get blood on the quilt, however, which should get me a few 'positive' points to offset the negative.

Anyone else done this? [the foregoing typed with one finger with large glass of white wine alongside]
Yep, yep!!! A long time ago while repairing denim. Needle went right through nail and out the bottom of my middle finger. Pulled away and the needle broke, with a piece still in my finger. Went for exrays and all the doctor said was to wait, "it will fess up and come out on its own". It did eventually... but it sore for quite some time.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:19 PM

I've done it several times in the past: once with my FW, once with my D1, and most recently with my LA. Luckily, I never hit bone and never got blood on my fabrics. It was definitely painful, but the thing I remembered with all 3 was to slowly raise the needle to remove it from my finger, rather than pull my finger away, especially with the LA and it's larger needle.

"Sew," welcome to the club! You are now zen - one with your sewing machine.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:55 PM

I did exactly what you did a couple of years ago. I sewed thru my finger again about 3 weeks ago. The needle went right thru my nail.It went thru my nail a little bit below where the white tip ends. I was on the phone with my sister at the time, sewing a little tiny piece and looked up at the tv. It bled a lot, not on my quilt. I figured I just missed the bone. DIdn't even break the needle.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
Fortunately, no, but give me time and it shall be done!

I agree. I stuck my foot on a tiny screwdriver once, OUCH
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM

I went thru the top of my right pointer finger while sewing a white prom dress. All i could think was NO blood on the dress and yanked my finger away. All those little nerves on the inside of my finger were now on the outside, and totally unhappy! I was 16, no wine! Pout! But, it is not something you do twice!!!