Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed >

2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed

2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed

Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 AM

So so so glad so many of y'all have made contact and are plotting your next move!!! There are a few pairings I haven't seen post or heard from yet. If you need anything or if your partner isn't responding, let me know ASAP...the key to this swap is...COMMUNICATION!!!!!

Now...happy sewing!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TwinRiverFarm View Post
My partner and I have connected, squealed in delight and started planning. She (Kgoodhand) would like a 30's quilt, and I just happen to have a vintage 30's wedding ring top that seems to be calling for her! Now since the top is 95% done (needs some TLC and attention to edges), I am going to focus on the appropriate quilting and binding to make it shine for her. I usually FQM, and have done a lot of practicing to get decent at it. But I have also hand quilt, and this may just call for that touch. If my hands will take it, that is! I am terrible at pictures, but will have DH coach me ( again...) and will try really hard to update from time to time.
Dabbler, I have a Great Pyrenees too, so I know the fur level you live with! Her name is Gracie, but that is the only graceful thing about her. 130 lbs and thinks she is a lapdog. It is hard to keep things out of her reach when she is taller than the counters. But my 3 lb calico kitten (Truffle) has no fear and swats Gracie on the nose whenever she wants to. Love the furbabies.
Vintage...as in REAL 1930's not repros?!?!? I have some of those too. Mother-in-law was going to give them away but decided maybe I could do something with them. She also gave me a quilt top all hand cut and pieced from the 1800's. Trying to find a muslin backing and then into my lap quilting frame to hand quilt!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Tam moo your pics will come in a few minutes ran out of batteries yesterday couldn't even take one pic! argh but did go buy some at the store which was such a good idea. I am hoping I can keep up with all these gorgeous quilts being posted. I love my blocks but we will see what Tammy picks. I hope to get that figured out today so I can plan plan plan.. one needs white lots of white and another I think would look good with reds/greens or some red with gold ah the challenge of planning. This is fun.

Yosamitesa sounds from all the comments you did a really good job paring all of us. We are all so lucky
Old 01-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by TwinRiverFarm View Post
Dabbler, I have a Great Pyrenees too, so I know the fur level you live with! Her name is Gracie, but that is the only graceful thing about her. 130 lbs and thinks she is a lapdog. It is hard to keep things out of her reach when she is taller than the counters. But my 3 lb calico kitten (Truffle) has no fear and swats Gracie on the nose whenever she wants to. Love the furbabies.
TOO FUNNY! To be a lap dog must be breed into them - Beasley will sit on you if you sit on the floor; he gets along with the neighbors cat Olive who ventures into our yard trying to catch birds (GRRRR bad cat) and loves to go for rides. He is not graceful either - he just kind of lumbers along - yup yup yo.

How true - we all love our fur-babies whether they're cats or dogs.

Wow - vintage 30's wedding ring top - how lucky. I took a class from Darlene Zimmerman (The Feedsack Lady) years ago to learn how to use her easy tool for making wedding ring table runner - it is easy and I would recommend her tool and method. I'm actually signed up to take a workshop class with her again in March; she has a new book coming out and we had a choice of two different patterns to work from; if everything in cut prior to class we should be able to get most of the top finished in a day.

You all have a great day - hold on to your hats out in that wind and stay warm.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 AM

I can't remember where I bought this top, but it is definitely original. Each of the "ring" sections is made of 10 pieces, about 5/8" wide each, which is unusual. The edges were never finished and there was no binding, so there is a lot of damage to the outside rings. It need a good deal of repairing, and some replacement work on the inner rings. Cleaning will have to wait until the fabric is stablized, too, and I doubt all the age stains will come out entirely. Kendra, I have to warn you that this will never be an everyday quilt, it is too tender. So if you would like something else, just let me know, ok? And haphazard scrappy is just great with me, go for it!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
Opps, the end disappeared.

MDQuilter: Although I found a ton of beautiful fabric with splashes of pinks, I steered away from them. Don't want you crying when you open your package. Instead decided on a warm red with tans and creams. If you don't like it, I can keep it. :-)

ArizonaKAT
Ooooooh! That sounds perfect! I gathered fabrics yesterday for a flower quilt I hope you'll love. I'll post a pic of the fabrics and the quilt I plan to make if you want. I'm really excited about this quilt. And, to show that I'm a good sport, there's even a little pink in it.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 PM

did some googling and scanning through my stash of magazines and think i have a pretty good start on the pattern possibility. Now to wait til the first for shopping money and i can get started. After talking with my partner Mumukate,it appears we are both attempting some methods that we need to finesse within our repertoire of quilting abilities. This swap is one of the ways we can increase our talents while enjoying ourselves.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 PM

J_cody and I have been in contact with each other. I have bought fabric and decided on a pattern for her quilt. Excited about working on it!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by roseirish48 View Post
After talking with my partner Mumukate,it appears we are both attempting some methods that we need to finesse within our repertoire of quilting abilities. This swap is one of the ways we can increase our talents while enjoying ourselves.
For sure, Ms. Roseirish48! I'm excited - I received my EQ7 software Friday and stayed up 'til 3:00 AM learning to use it! LOL!!! I modified 3 different patterns and think I've decided on the ONE for you! I've asked Yosamitesa to take a look at it (since you're wanting a surprise) so we'll see what she thinks.

I'm going to love EQ7 - I modified the pattern, then went to the fabric website and chose fabric to the design table and "harvested" images of fabric choices. I was able to place the images directly into the EQ7 pattern and see what the finished product will look like! AMAZING!!! Not sure I trust the fabric yardage chart it prints out tho but we shall see. 6 different fabrics! - that's getting pretty scrappy for me. I've never done scrappy before. But it is "organized scrappy" so I should be able to manage that part of it.

Hoping Yosamitesa likes it 'cos fabric is on order! Can't wait to see how all the fabrics play together - it looked good on the design table???

Last edited by mumukate; 01-27-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 AM

Waiting patiently (ha) for Tammy to pick which quilt to work with. I am very excited at the possibilities for all of my quilts.. just need to know which one to start planning with. I am thinking I will use a fun new ribbon style border to go all around the Christmas quilt.. a little package

I want a golden doodle but not a full size one a mini one.. those are not terrifically mini. I hear they shed quiet a bit less and they are so adorable like bears! I had a golden which was the sweetest dog ever..just not the smartest. So maybe a little poodle mix would be a good thing lol.. help it be a tiny bit smarter. (for me this is a good thing the smart part). I love dogs just need to get in a spot in life where I can have one again. Not today so I will enjoy all your dog pictures and stories instead