Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marti Michell's Block of the Month >

Marti Michell's Block of the Month

Marti Michell's Block of the Month

Old 01-29-2014, 04:54 AM

I have done a bunch of her blocks, but figured out all the pieces without having to use templates. I'd rather spend money on good rulers or cutters or fabric before a bunch of templates I may not use again.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:18 AM

I started my quilting life using Marti Mitchel strip quilting books over 20 years ago. Her books are very detailed and
I have only taken a couple of classes which were how to do FMQ. I still prefer strip quilting to other methods, although I have done a few other types.

Nancy
Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 AM

I've done Marti's BOMs in the past and then did a year in the Marti & Me club at the LQS. In all her patterns/instructions booklets (that's what you get, a booklet!), she always gave the paper templates if you didn't have her templates and she also explained how to use your rulers, not just her specialty rulers. After a year in the club I only bought one additional set of templates and one ruler.

Too bad your LQS doesn't explain just how thorough her patterns are, rather than just pushing products.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
And to think she started with the Mary Ellen Hopkins techniques of strip piecing.
I've never cared for templates.
I'm with you, Jan, no templates for me! And didn't you just love Mary Ellen Hopkins? She freed me from being so anal about my piecing!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM

I buy kits only when they're on sale and only if nothing extra, templates, rulers, are needed.
MaryKatherine
Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM

I looked up Mary Ellen Hopkins and ended up ordering a used copy of one that looks to have fabulous instructions and oodles of block designs - and seem to use regular rulers and logically explained drafting and piecing concepts. Looking forward to it. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Marti Michell's templates are WONDERFUL! The pieces fit together perfectly ... sewing was a dream ... love using her templates.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM

I did one of her BOM's at my LQS as a Saturday Sampler....honestly? never again. Was my first experience with templates, and to be truthful, I did much better at measuring and cutting strips down. When I was first starting out, I'd purchased a whole set of templates at a yard sale, figuring, eventually, I might use these. When I signed up for the BOM sampler, I was pleased to remember that I had them! haha. Joke was on me. Template cut pieces didn't fit together as well as the ones I just cut with a ruler. I found that the smaller the piece, the more likely to cut my finger instead of the fabric. and they slip around like crazy, even with little sandpaper dots! Good luck, whichever way you choose!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM

I do not care for templates or specialty rulers.
I mean templates or rulers you only use for one project. it is the ultimate frustration.

I would rather buy fabrics......
Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM

I have been to two quilting retreats where we worked on a Marti Michelle quilt using her templates. I will never do another. The templates are way too expensive. The first was a Storm at Sea quilt. I had to buy three sets of templates to make it, and after getting it all cut out, the blocks won't even go together easily. That quilt went into the Mighty Zip Loc Graveyard. This past year, having not learned my lesson apparently, I went to another to make Six of One-Half Dozen of Another. Thought it couldn't possibly be that bad-just had to buy ONE template. The kicker was that when you got your strips sewn together and cut out the pieces you needed (triangular) you had another complete quilt set of the pieces that would become waste. Didn't waste money on templates that time-wasted a ton of money on fabric! So, I am through with Marti Michell. There are plenty of patterns for Storm at Sea that do not require templates! And I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these pieces left over from the second quilt. Why would anyone want TWO of the same quilt??? Sheesh!