2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Rhonda, you were really productive last year. Congrats on that! What's your plan for this year?
My plan for this year is to finish the unfinished, well, with some limits. I just finished working with scraps, and I mean scraps! Bits and chunks and itty bitty pieces. I have a pattern called fabric fusion from American Patchwork and Quilting, February 2012 issue. The pattern called for assorted fabric for 144, 3 1/2x5" rectangles, 72, 3x3 1/2" rectangles, and 144, 2x 3 1/2" rectangles. They are connected by white sashing strips. I did an extra step and just combined scraps together to make the rectangles. This has been an ongoing project for a couple of years or more. I would just make fabric out of scraps to the size needed. Not a thought in my mind when I was doing this. Just grab something that would fit in the next spot and look ok next the the color already sewn. It has been a great stress reducer for me. OK, that's done and I need sashing, well low and behold I don't have the white fabric at this house it's at our other home. Normally,I would go out and buy new fabric, but because of committing to more controlled spending, I curbed the desire to spend and pulled out my unfinished Orca Bay project. I started the mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter a year ago. (or was it longer). I have several of the steps done and everything cut out. So, Emma, these are 2 of the projects I will be working on for now. And I didn't go to the store....yeah...could this be a break thru?

Last edited by Rhonda Lee; 01-29-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
Wow Rhonda, you were really productive last year. I always have the best intentions to be productive, but my problem is finding the time to just sit down and sew. Working FT and driving 2 hours a day cuts into my sewing time.
I am now retired, but after retiring I took care of grandchildren for 2 years and then my mother-in-law for 2 years. I only spend limited time in my sewing studio, but still managed to get a few things done. Now, it is much easier. I also had a 2 hour drive time. It's not easy when you are working. I'd give up sleep in order to do some quilting, but I wouldn't say that's such a smart idea either. Just take a few minutes a day. It's surprising what you can do in 20 minutes a day, if it's consistent. Good luck with your time issues, I know it can be frustrating.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM

I am in! I have a ton of fabrics so I decided to do log cabins wall hangings, potholders, and aprons for presents this year. That should whittle down my stash.....................so I can buy some more! LOL!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM

Rhonda: I did the Orca mystery quilt, it too became a UFO. For some reason the pattern never really emerged, a little disappointing so it never got done. It is on my list of Get Her Dones. You have more will power then I do, if I were working on a project I would go ahead and get that white fabric. Love2: Don't want to rain on your parade, but am now finishing the Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice. I pieced both the front and the back completely from my stash, used close to 18 yards of fabric, can't even tell any is missing from the stash. That being said, the log cabin pattern has been calling my name. It is such a versatile block with all the different layouts. Maybe this is the year.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 PM

My stash is small but I still want to use it up. The stash came from my MIL, garage sales, a lady cleaning out her stash, and my church quilting group. I have fleece that was donated to me for fleece blankets so I will probably only need to buy fleece backings for those.

In the month of January, I cut approximately 20 pieces of my MIL's stash to put into 5 different quilt kits. I tried to get 6 squares cut to 10 inches(divided into 3 kits), 2 French Braid strips and 4 strips that will be bricks of 8 1/2 inches, and some 2 1/2 inch strips cut between 2 and 10 inches. That took lots of time because I needed to iron the fabric first. More material will be cut for several more months before the kits are ready to sew.

I also used stash for the backings of 6 baby quilts, the making of 5 tote bags, and one 60 by 63 inch top.

Thank goodness I had extra sewing days to finish these things. No subs are needed of course on 'no school cold days.'

Connie
Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 PM

Emma: I understand how you can use so much fabric and the stash doesn't look at all depleted. I shopped my stash for the Orca Bay. I would like to do the Celtic Solstice too, (I've set aside some stash fabric), I think it's one of Bonnies best patterns. Don't you just love her? I still have some other stuff I want to finish before I begin that one.

Connie: You've been busy! You are doing very well in using your stash.
Love2read: You've given me more ideas on what else to do with my own stash. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM

Rhonda: I think I am tipping over the edge. Took the dimensions of the blocks you have cut and drew them out to see what kind of pattern would emerge. Yes I am very, very sick. Yes, love Bonnie's designs, only person I know that can tell me to go make 160 HST and I would do it. The things I notice about doing one of her mysteries is I hone my piecing skills and she takes me outside my comfort zone by her use of color. Teacher: I think all those years of lesson plan prep are showing.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Welcome to two new fellow moratorium ladies...Rhonda Lee and Love2read. So glad you joined us. Rhonda, wow! you are one amazing person. If I get two of my ufo's done this year, I will be happy. Love2read, we all (especially me) would love to see a picture of your quilt top if it involves cats. That is one reason that I am slow at getting ufo's done this year. I am working on a quilt for my DGD who graduates this May. It is my own design and is really challenging my brain. When I get it done, then I can concentrate on ufo's. I may have to fall off the wagon to just buy enough fabric for a background color for the border of the cat quilt. I plan to outline the center block with cat silhouettes and need a dark background color to tie it all together. I have stash but no 'plain' fabric. AnokaQ...I think you just click on 'reply with quote' and that brings up the previous quote and then you can answer. Emma...you are such an asset to the QB. You always give such nice comments and encouragement to everyone.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 AM

Emma: You are not sick. You are a quilter! But I thought the same thing about me when I pulled out the box containing all the pieces to the Orca Bay (puzzle) quilt. My husband just shakes his head.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 AM

Sandy: What a really nice thing to say! Truth is, I enjoy this site so much, it's the other way around. Everyone gives me such inspiration, making it easy to stay enthusiastic about my mania.