Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Is there a good Iron anymore? >
  • Is there a good Iron anymore?

• Is there a good Iron anymore?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 AM

What kind of water are you using? Softened water will ruin an iron. I lost my first Rowenta that way. I had it thirteen years and then we got a water softener. I didn't know! Now I use Spring water. No problems after six years. I love my steam generator!
    Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 AM

My son bought a Black and Decker, used it for a couple of months, and it leaked water at the bottom seams. The B&D online site says to get rubber cement and caulk the seams. One shouldn't have to do that! Of course, son lost receipt, but I'm going to get my hands on the iron and just mail it back to B&D, telling them they can just keep their defective product. We're not caulking anything.
    Old 01-30-2014, 04:56 AM

I too am in the market for an Iron, mine just shuts off when it wants to, and turns on when it wants to!!
    Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 AM

I have had my Rowenta (made in Germany) for about 14 years now and it still works like the day I bought it. I would ever buy an iron that was made in China--they NEVER last.
    Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by sahansen44
    The last iron I purchased (after having 2 Rowentas that ended up leaking) was a Black and Decker at Bed Bath and Beyond with my 20% coupon. so far I am loving it. Have had it almost a year and no leaking or spitting. I will not purchase an expensive iron again.
    That's what I have and love it. DON'T put water in it. Use a spray bottle for those times you occasionally need steam. I can't even remember how old mine is.......auto shut off still works and it heats up fast when you need it.
    Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 AM

I have an older Sunbeam Steam Master. It shuts off after a minute if it is set on end I like that. I have had it about 7 years and got it from my granddaughter and it wasn't new then.
    It needs cleaning fairly often because we have a drilled well and our water had lots of minerals in it. I just put some vinegar and water it it and set it cleaning. It's as good as new when finished.
    Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 AM

I read somewhere to use distilled water. I used to have crusty stuff spewing out, but once I started using distilled water I didn't have that problem ever again and it has been years.
    Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 AM

I just ordered a Rowenta Eco ($115.00 on Amazon) to replace my recently deceased 24 year old Rowenta. It got good reviews from quilters/sewers. Hopefully it will take me into my twilight years!

The best part of this transaction was that my Discover Card rewards $$$ were applied! $97.00 reward money just popped up on the Amazons screen and I thought....ka-ching! $18 out of pocket . We shall see.

sandy
    Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 AM

I have no luck with irons - I go thru at least one a year - last Christmas I got the Panasonic cordless - only lasted 10 months and it never really got that hot -started using a Rival iron, but it did not get hot enough - got a new one this Christmas, will try it out this weekend.

Last edited by Normabeth; 01-30-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 AM

I just purchased a Sunbeam from my local Costco. It was about $25. I love that it's big, has a 12 foot cord (so nice when pressing large quilt tops) and stays hot for 15 minutes before beeping at you that it's going to shut off. Also has an auto shut off within 30 seconds if it is left face down, or tips over. It gets nice and hot,too. I don't use steam, so I haven't put water in it yet. I've had it about 3 weeks, and so far, so good!