Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is there a good Iron anymore? >

Is there a good Iron anymore?

Is there a good Iron anymore?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I never put water in my iron just use a spray bottle.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 AM

Purchased a Classic Black and Decker steam iron a few months ago. It's like the iron I had many decades ago when I was newly married. Within a few weeks it was spitting. I called B&D customer service to complain and she suggested not filling the iron to it's full capacity. She said there was a window on the iron and only fill until the half-way mark. Although I can't see the marking on the window, I do use less water -- no more spitting.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 AM

I bought a Rowenta at the thrift store for six dollars to use as a dry iron cause I knew it would leak. Yes it does.
Also have a Black and Decker that leaks.
So I use a spray bottle to iron with.
They don't make irons as good as they used to be.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM

I have several Procter Silex irons from the 1950's When ever I see them in thrift stores I grab them up. These new irons do not last through one quilt and they do not weigh enough to knock out the wrinkles. The worst iron was the Rowenta. What is the chance that I get 3 lemons in a row? My favorite JoAnn store gave me my money back with out my even asking.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 AM

I ordered an iron from Vermont Country store. It was like the one my mom used. Heavy with a knob on the top. It comes as a dry iron with a flat bottom and and steam iron with all the holes in it. I love it and it was very reasonably priced. It works better that my expensive rowenta.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by lockesnest View Post
What kind of water are you using? Softened water will ruin an iron. I lost my first Rowenta that way. I had it thirteen years and then we got a water softener. I didn't know! Now I use Spring water. No problems after six years. I love my steam generator!

I only buy distilled for my Rowenta. No probs ever.
sandy
Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I use distilled water in my irons. In the past 3 years, maybe only 2, I have had 2 irons from GE, two from Hancock's Fabric, one of the from Home Depot, it doesn't even have a name on it. But it was only $8.00. I figured get it cheap and maybe it would last. It did for almost a year.

All of them are made in China. It looks like we need to band together and send our complaints to the American companies to bring back some of the manufacturing processing in hopes we could have quality products again. Everything is throw away and replace now.

GE sent me a replacement, it lasted a couple of months as well. Hancocks gave me a replacement and it died shortly afterwards also. I can't complain about their response, but I am about the quality of the irons. They seem to be junk and I don't want to invest mega bucks only to have it die in less than a year. Prior to this, I had only 2 or 3 irons in all my life. I am old enough for that to mean something! Thanks again.
I will surely be looking at the thrift stores for one of the older ones. In the meantime, guess I will get a disposable one from the big box store.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I bought the Black and Dekker too and it is going strong. I went through many before that. Most fairly in expensive.

Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
The last iron I purchased (after having 2 Rowentas that ended up leaking) was a Black and Decker at Bed Bath and Beyond with my 20% coupon. so far I am loving it. Have had it almost a year and no leaking or spitting. I will not purchase an expensive iron again.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 AM

I have a $29 flat iron which heats but has not steam. Bella Boo recommended it on this Board. it came from Vermont Country Store, has no holes in the bottom, has a long enough cord and gets good and hot.
I love it! Spare me the spitting and sputtering !
Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 AM

Anything under $25 is "disposable". Maybe even under $50... chalk it up to cheap foreign labor.

I still have my heavy G.E. from 1963 when I went away to college... bought with "plaid stamps".
It's fallen off the board several times and is finally getting to the point of not holding a real hot temp. even tho' the fabric covered cord was replaced - with a rubber/plastic? one. I use it for fusible applique as I don't care if it gets gummy/sticky.

Just figure a new "disposable" iron every 3-5 years??? IF YOU'RE LUCKY!