Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Picking out fabric >

Picking out fabric

Picking out fabric

Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Another way is just look for one fabric with colors that you love. On the selvedge there usually will be registration dots with the colors used in the printing process. You can use the dots to help find coordinating fabrics. I've done this and sometimes don't even buy my focus fabric, just used it to pull others.
This is how I do it sometimes, too. And like Paper Princess, sometimes I don't even end up buying that first bit of fabric that served as the inspiration.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 AM

I have the same problem, so I don't feel bad when I buy a preassembled quilt kit. As long as it has fabrics I like, it doesn't matter if I put it together or someone else did. Plus, there is always a pattern included, which I may like better than the one I was planning to use.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
When picking out fabric for a quilt, I usually start with my pattern. Wander around in the store until I find what I want for a focal, or primary fabric in the quilt. Will then move on from there. I usually end up carrying around bolts of fabric with me for what seems like hours sometimes. If you have difficulty trying to figure out coordinating colors, try using the dots on the selvage of your focal fabric...those are the individual colors used to make up that pattern/design.

I will also, lay out the bolts with the lesser fabrics hidden, so to speak, so I can get a sense of what the visual will be. Focal on top, an inch or two of next fabric and so on. Or how they are going to be used together to get a sense of how it looks together.
this is such great advice. i forget about the dots on the selvage
Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM

I agree with NJ. If I have a pattern in mind, I'll look for the focus fabric first. I'll put the bolts down and wander the store bring bolts to my pile, returning the bolts, etc. The people that work in the store are very helpful, as are other shoppers that are in the store at the same time. The last time I went shopping, a lady wanted one of the fabrics that was in my pile, and we ended up helping each other pick out fabrics for both of our quilts!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
f
I agree! Most staff at LQS will be very willing to help you. Just do not be afraid to say "Thanks is not what I had in mind" if you do not like the fabric they choose. They will not be offended. After a while you will become more comfortable about choosing fabric. I still second guess myself about fabric choices even after about 5 yrs of quilting and many more of sewing. Just GO FOR IT!!!!!
I agree with all..focus fabric then fill in. I take my pattern with me and ask lqs employees to help me. They like getting involved! And I can't stress big sisters advice... If you don't like what they pull out tell them no you don't like it. I used to be intimidated by their expertise...I have a whole quilt that I hated from the beginning that has never been finished. I keep it as a reminder to speak up!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I love to look at fabric....I have since I was a child. I can go in a QS and look for hours. Then when it's time to pick out fabric for my quilt I freeze. I can't seem to get it together and nothing seems to go. What is my problem? I know what I like I just can't make it work together. I am a novice quilter and an old girl that used to make all my own clothes when I was a kid. Why can't I put quilt fabrics together so they look right? Any suggestions?
And for me, fabric seems to jump off the shelf adn beg to go home with me.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I choose a focal fabric and either take colors form it or find some that I like with it. I have been working on using up my scraps, no matching with those.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Another way is just look for one fabric with colors that you love. On the selvedge there usually will be registration dots with the colors used in the printing process. You can use the dots to help find coordinating fabrics. I've done this and sometimes don't even buy my focus fabric, just used it to pull others.
This is how I started. Picking one fabric with the colors I wanted and using the dots. Also don't be afraid if you are in a Quilt shop to ask for help - they love to spend your money! I think that is the only way that some of them get to go home with a few $ in their pockets, otherwise they just leave the check at the shop. But also don't be afraid to say no I don't like that - it won't hurt their feelings.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Oh and don't forget once you have your fabrics picked out to put the bolts in a stack (I normally put the focus fabric standing up next to the stack) and then step away. I have a habit of looking too close at my fabrics when I think what you really want is how it will look when you stand back.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM

I usually choose 2-4 different things that I think I would like as a focus fabric, and then start pulling things that go with each one. At that point I'll realize that maybe for one of my options, I can't find coordinating fabrics I like as well as I can for the others, so I rule it out. Then I might decide that the longer I look at one of them, the more I do or don't want it to be in my quilt, so that can rule it in or out. Once I've narrowed down some options, I start asking the store employees or other shoppers for their opinions. Sometimes I'll find that I'm disappointed they chose fabric A instead of fabric B - so that tells me that what *I* really wanted was fabric B all along!