Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt pros & cons >

Accuquilt pros & cons

Accuquilt pros & cons

Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM

I have the Go and it sits in the closet; only used it once and I have a couple dies for it. I would love to use it more, but don't know what I should use it for. Can ya'll show me some pictures of your quilts so I can admire them and maybe get some ideas. I would really like to use it more.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I've had the Studio for about 15 years and love it. I've cut literally tens of thousands of items so I can attest to its sturdiness. With the Studio, you can get adaptors to use GO! and Sizzix dies in addition to the Studio dies, so it really is versatile. It is big, however, you would need a space with about 14 inches on both sides of the cutter to use the large extended dies, so keep that in mind. My sister had a GO! and I really thought it was easier to crank mine. It is an investment, so you will have to do the math to determine if it's right for you.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

I have both, I love my studio here at home you can cut many layers at once. I like my go cutter to take along with me. Both are really wonderful just depends on how much you need to cut and if you have room for the studio.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 PM

I have both and love both. I store my studio on its side under my table. I can use all my dies on my studio with the adapter
Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Banned

Think about what "projects" you might want to create first. Are you a quilter that prefers to piece or do applique". You may also want to check out the new electronic cutters (e..g Silhouette Cameo, Eclipse2, Brother Scan N Cut) as you don't have the expense of all the dies, but they also only cut one layer at a time. Still, you can control placement of the cut on the fabric better to minimize scrap.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by sash View Post
I have the Go and it sits in the closet; only used it once and I have a couple dies for it. I would love to use it more, but don't know what I should use it for. Can ya'll show me some pictures of your quilts so I can admire them and maybe get some ideas. I would really like to use it more.

Go to the accuquilt website...all kinds of patterns/ ideas there.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sash View Post
What ever quilt you are making, the Go will probably have the die to do the cutting. All the basic shape and sizes are available in the dies. The website has a quilt patterns and the dies used to make them. The new dies are Hunter Star and Clamshell. I have the Log Cabin, Drunkard's Path (2 sizes) Winding Ways, Rose of Sharon, Rag die (2 sizes) large and small Tumbler, four sizes of Hex, five sizes of circles, can't list all I have but I haven't found a quilt I want to make I couldn't use a die to cut the pieces. Even all the dies I have I haven't come close to the cost of my sewing machine.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 AM

I have the GO and love it. You can adapt many quilts patterns to use the dies. The amount of time it saves is amazing. I would love to have the studio, but can't see spending the money when the GO does everything I want or need.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 AM

I have been trying to decide which model to buy too. Is the only difference between the Go and Studio the number of layers you can cut at one time? Or are there some dies that are only available for the Studio?

My main interest would be cutting strips (2.5" & 2"), squares (5", 2.5" & 2") and triangles to match up with the squares. I would love to try a tumbler quilt and some hexies. I like the new Hunter Star die.

Space isn't really an issue... I think I could set up the Studio in a spare bedroom (almost empty nester here!). Are the dies bigger for the Studio? For example could I cut a FQ into more 2" squares on one pass with a Studio? I've watched some of the videos at their site but I don't know anyone who has one to see them in person.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:00 PM

I didn't care for the Go. I wanted to be able to cut a 10" square and it would have been impossible using the Go. If I had the means, and those were my two choices, I would get the Studio. I have a Big Shot Pro and I love it.