Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this. >

Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this.

Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks everybody. For now I'm going to fold this one up and work on one of the other 4 quilts I have going. I think if I come back to this one once I've had a success with something else it won't feel so bad. That means I really can't afford to mess up this next one.

Do you guys like the precuts? I bought two layer cakes for this one from the Missouri star quilting company. When I got them I liked the fabrics, but it didn't seem they all went together and I just don't think I like how limiting it was because they are already 10 inch squares. Fat quarters I like for a different reason, but they are about as small a piece of fabric that I want to buy.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM

I hate that you are so discouraged. All of the suggestions are great. I think you should put it away for awhile and start on something else if you can. It is taking up so much space in your head right now you need a break from it. Once you have been away from it for awhile, taking out the quilting won't seem so awful. I am like Prism99 as I starch my fabric heavily. I have found if I pin on carpet the carpet has too much give in it and "bends" the fabric too much. Don't give up, you will find a way to get this done now and in the future.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM

You said you pinned your backing "very tightly" to the carpet. My thinking is after you had it sandwiched and unpinned the backing that the backing was actually stretched. Don't pin it tight-just taut enough to get any wrinkles/folds out. I do feel for you.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Have you tried spray basting and the 'roll' method.. ?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM

You should definately work on something else for a while, get the "mess quilt" outa sight and mind.
I agree that starching makes a huge difference. I get much better results when I starch before I cut.
With precuts you'd think they would work better. I've never had anything work correctly with them. I hate that everyone is pushing them so hard.
You are improving your quilting skills, even with this quilt. Don't give up!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 PM

If you hate it that much get cheap sheet at goodwill and use to practice quilting??? Try elmers glue, repositional and wont have pins! I do 1\2 then flip over n do ther half. then youll be able to tell if there is puckers! Keep at it! Only been doing this 4 yrs too!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
You said you pinned your backing "very tightly" to the carpet. My thinking is after you had it sandwiched and unpinned the backing that the backing was actually stretched. Don't pin it tight-just taut enough to get any wrinkles/folds out. I do feel for you.
I think you are right, which would explain the problem with the front.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 PM

finish it and give it away so you never have to see it again!

people who don't quilt don't even know puckers are wrong. truth.

my 5th or 6th quilt was a mess on the back. the person who received it laughed when i pointed out all the "mistakes" and said he liked to run his fingers over them. hadn't occurred to him at all they shouldn't have been there

aileen
Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Time is not wasted if you learn from your mistakes. If you're near a LQS or a member of a guild, ask for help. It's amazing how much people will help you if you simply ask politely and say thank you.

In my experience, puckers, front or back of the quilt, are always a sandwich tension issue. Either the sandwich is too tight or too loose. I've never sandwiched on the floor so can't comment on how well that works or how to improve the technique. Heck, if I got down on the floor, I'd never be able to get up.

Neesie's idea is a good one. But if you can't bring yourself to do that, sew it all around and donate it to a charity or animal shelter.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Toss it and start something new that you love. Why waste anymore time with it. Life is too short for that.