Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had house fire last year. Remember me? >

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Oh Jill, you and irons just don't get along. Isn't that how you burned your foot was an iron? How well we remember your fire. The members of this board were so very generous with giving. You be careful and DON'T leave the iron plugged in, girlfriend. Luv U
Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
I leave my iron plugged into the power BUT. I have the radio plugged in to the same socket, so if I can hear the radio it means the iron is on,this is a great help if DH goes down stairs to lock up at night
Terrific idea! I had a Rowenta travel iron that started sizzling and scorched my ironing board cover! Glad I as in the room when it happened...
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 AM

I'm glad that are up and quilting. After hearing your story last year, I always unplug my iron. Glad you caught it this time. Happy quilting.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:05 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Oh, such horror stories! I am thankful, old piglady, that you were there to catch that iron before another tragedy. And oh, my, Peckish! What a story. I'll get hubby on replacing our ancient fire extinguishers ASAP. I think one in the sewing room would be wise.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 AM

I've had a new 6 month old fridge catch on fire that caused a lot of damage due to the plastic smoke. GE said they wanted to pick it up to figure out what went wrong, but I later found out they destroyed the evidence so not to have to pay our insurance company!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 AM

My husband and I went to a Fire Safety Program and they highly Recommend to unplug everything that would create heat.. TOASTERS, CURLING IRONS and hair dryers, IRONS, HEATING PADS, THOSE VIBRATING HEATING SEAT PADS FOR YOUR CHAIR, ELECTRIC HEATERS OF ANY KIND and other small appliances like
Blenders, mixers, food processors, electric Grills and waffle irons, fry pans . ETC
... We use Surge protectors on the heaters. The only thing we don't unplug is the microwave .. should possibly unplug that too... might be a good idea to use a surge protector strip to plug your iron in but unplugging it is a better idea. plus while you are using the iron, and won't be using it for a couple min.. turn it off... Remember to unplug your iron if you leave the room..
Old 02-03-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy View Post
I've had a new 6 month old fridge catch on fire that caused a lot of damage due to the plastic smoke. GE said they wanted to pick it up to figure out what went wrong, but I later found out they destroyed the evidence so not to have to pay our insurance company!
Wow... Next time ( hope there is never a next time) Document phone calls and copy any written letters to the companies as proof ( always send these type of items with registered mail too )also a copy of the pick up papers that the Driver should have given you ... Those would be proof that they actually got the Fridge...
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 AM

I have my iron plugged into a power strip hanging on the wall near the ironing board. My ironing light is also plugged into this strip, and it is always ON. I just turn off the strip. If the light is on, the iron is on. BUT - my iron is stored in an iron holder near where the ironing board is hung on the wall. I finally figured out that if someone wants to use the light for another reason, the iron will go on even if it is in the holder. (Lucky for irons that go off after a few minutes. That has happened at least once.) So now when I put the iron in the holder, I make sure the control on the iron is OFF.

My sewing machine is plugged into a strip also, but I am more leery about that. After I turn off the strip, I unplug the machine, but not by the wall plug. I pull the plug that connects the cord to the machine. It is right handy. A lot easier than trying to find that wall plug.

Another thing I could do is turn off a switch that controls all the plugs in a room. I know that lightening can jump that, too, but some of those have surge protectors on them.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Did your iron have the automatic shut off after 15 minutes of non use?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
Oh, such horror stories! I am thankful, old piglady, that you were there to catch that iron before another tragedy. And oh, my, Peckish! What a story. I'll get hubby on replacing our ancient fire extinguishers ASAP. I think one in the sewing room would be wise.
When you get your fire extinguishers, I believe they need to be shaken up periodically. I know about 15-20 years ago they were supposed to be shaken up about once a month(?) so they spray when needed. Can't remember the frequency for sure. So leave them out in the open where they are a visual reminder and easy to access to shake up.