Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in tears! >

I'm in tears!

I'm in tears!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 AM

Please don't give up. Sometimes mistakes turn out to be creative new designs. Try to play with what you have and create with it. I know it is easy to say it sometimes than do it, but give it a try. Let us know what you do with it, but please do not toss the fabric. Good luck!
Karen
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkpbFKBaKA This one was suggested on page one. It is darling and seems perfect for your fabrics IMHO. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
I hadn't been quilting in quite awhile, just had no motivation to do it. The other day I looked at all of my fabric (and there is cupboards, drawers and containers full) and told myself that I couldn't give up quilting, I had to much fabric, that I need to get my act together and get to sewing, so I did. I have been sewing strips together, what seems forever and I just got done cutting all my pieces. Finally, time to start piecing. Well I was having a problem getting things to match. Turns out the six strips that I had to sew together to get the 12 strips I had to cut, I cut the wrong size. I knew they were suppose to be 1 1/2 inches, but for some reason I cut them all at 1 1/4 inches. I had already done some other strip sets and I had cut them 1 1/2 inches and cut them the size they were suppose to be. So needless to say, I can't even make the quilt smaller. I have no more of those fabrics and they had matched the flannel I had planned putting on the back. I guess I should have just given up on quilting. I have to through away all that fabric, such a waste. In all of my years of quilting, I have never made such a huge mistake. Why bother?
Hey come on,take a deep breath and you will get there.I've been there and I don't have a quarter of the fabric you say you have. Think back to why you started with this craft,I bet there was a lot of giving there.Bless you, take a ittle time to really think what you want to achieve.We all have days-- or weeks, when the quilting angel deserts us.Thinking of you ,Love Lettyx
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM

I don't think I have ever made a quilt when I did not make one or more mistakes. Just keep going and as Prism99 said, view them as creative opportunities! Don't give up!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM

How about easing back to what you used to love. I started back making hot pads for Christmas. Here are a couple of sites to ponder: http://breadbaking.about.com/od/bake...ead-Bakers.htm
http://www.pinterest.com/molzan/quilted-hotpads/
Old 02-03-2014, 11:10 AM

I have made my share of mistakes when cutting for a quilt. Do not give up. Find some material that would complement what you have cut. The cut strips to make up the difference. Don't give up. I understand your feelings.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM

all of the quilters in this newsletter are amazing.. I will never feel I have made a mistake again... such incouragement... makes us all feel better.... keep on stitching Dreamin... it is good therapy.....
Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM

The speaker at our quilt guild last night quoted from this article about mistakes.
http://yourstrongestlife.com/mistakes-2/
Old 02-04-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by patsynel View Post
Don't give up and don't throw away the fabric you cut. You will find a way to use the fabric in a different way. I have done this before and it is aggravating. Take a break and come back later.
We ALL make mistakes ... ALL my projects have mistakes. If you can't live with it, PAY IT FORWARD to a quilting board member. There are many who can not afford to buy fabric and would love it. If no takers, send it to me

Last edited by adnil458; 02-04-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Every quilt is made with challenges...that is why all the fabric is pieced together. We buy beautiful fabric by the yards and cut it all up into small chunks just to sew them together again and make something new and different. Your quilt will look good and keep someone warm with all your hard work. Don't toss anything...just make something different! You can do this with all our support!