Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050! >

Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050!

Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:08 AM

It's not easy but it IS possible, and it gets easier.

I FMQ'd a HUGE king size (120" square!) on my Janome 6600. I can't say I did a fantastic job (I am still sort of new at FMQ) but I did it and nothing has fallen apart so far, LOL.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done anything large, yet. My biggest was between crib and lap. Did large cross hatch/grid. Post photo please.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 AM

I will post a photo for sure! I'm going to get to work on the binding now and then I'll post a pic this afternoon in the photo section. YAY!!!!!!! It feels so good to have done it myself. It's just crosshatched but she will be very happy with it.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 PM

One thing that really helps a lot, is to use quilting gloves. I bought some "Machingers" gloves for $8.00, and was surprised at how much that helped.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 AM

THe more quilt I do on my machine the easier it gets. I have watch many quilting videos and signed up for classes. My first large quilts were only large stipple lines. Now I have started to do other things with blocking and the FM quilt in the block. Keep going it will get better.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 AM

I started practicing on small quilt sandwiches and now have quilted a king size quilt on my Baby Lock. It just takes starting slowly and practice and patience.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 AM

I have two to three "2 x 4" adjustable height tables. I place one ahead of the machine and the other 1 or 2 to my left. I find the "super slider" to be awesome and I just use ordinary rubber dipped garden gloves. I don't hesitate to do large (120 x 120) quilts on any of my small machines. I am now getting into the more "dense" type quilting. It takes practice but eventually you will find a method that works for you. Don't get discouraged - the skill WILL come and you'll experience a whole new level of fun!!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 AM

Try this....for QAYG in strips, or rows. [url]Http://www.candiedfabrics.com this is how I am quilting a double irish chain, king size on my 27 year old Pfaff. I had sewn all the rows together, realized I couldn't quilt it even with straight lines through the colored squares, found this site, took the quilt apart, but two row sections, and am now on my second section. I couldn't send out to a longarmer, so this is really working for me!

Last edited by Cottage Dee; 02-04-2014 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Broken url
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 AM

Getting all that fabric in the throat of a DSM is difficult but if you work in sections from the centre out, it can be a bit easier. I have not done FMQ yet but do lots of echo quilting following the outside edges (or inside edges) of my design pattern. I (for the most part) do not do SITD but do the width of the presser foot alongside the edges of the seams in my design (so much easier) & the look is better (I think). Make sure you use your walking foot as it will feed the fabric through your quilt with much better results. I do have a specialized item (even feed foot) on my Bernina 820 that is supposed to be as good as a walking foot but I have found for quilting, the walking foot is absolutely a necessity. If you go into pictures section I have a quilt on there called "Shades of Blue Carpenter's Star" & it shows the quilting design that I did & you may prefer trying that. All straight geometric stitches & IMHO enhances the design of that particular quilt. Give it a look & it may inspire you. Don't give up...........you will work it out.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 AM

I loved to hand quilt but my hands didn't. I have arthritis in my hands.