Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Are Your Techniques For A Perfect Binding? >

What Are Your Techniques For A Perfect Binding?

What Are Your Techniques For A Perfect Binding?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM

missouri quilt company has a youtube video that is easy and flawless worked so well for me
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM

I rarely have perfect binding - even on my quilts I enter in shows and I've been awarded a couple of ribbons.
I've gotten to the point on baby/crib/lap/utility quilts I machine bind (I personally feel its a stronger stitch).
On the one's I plan to enter, I always hand stitch the back side.
In my quilting world, it's just another part of the process there's always room for improvement on!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I use a 2.5" binding, which I iron in half, then miter the WOF together, as I like the slightly larger binding. Jenny Doan on MSQC has an excellent tutorial on binding, both with sewing the binding on the front, then hand stitching it on the back to sewing the binding on the back, then bringing it around to the front and machine stitching.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
1st I cut 2.25" binding ~ miter all your seams including connecting the section together
2nd Make sure you flip up and fold down that it is absolutely perfect.
3rd I leave just the width of a pin excess of the fold down on the top edge of the quilt.
4th Make sure your quilt is SQUARE at the corner. NO wonky borders.
5th Make sure you leave enough of your quilt edges to make the binding full and not sagging
6th Sorry to say this, but HAND stitch your binding to the back. it looks much more professional.

GOOD LUCK. Hope I didn't forget anything. After 2 decades, it becomes automatic !!!
Help. I need an explanation of #3. I just don't picture what you are describing. Thank you!
peace
Old 02-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Just looked at Sharon Schamber's method and what do you know ,that's exactly how I've always done my binding except I don't use glue.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
You can choose the width of binding you prefer and decide if you want an equal width on the front and back.
The question was about bindings for show quilts and I believe equal width is a high priority, along with fullness.

My notes from a lecture by an NQA certified judge on what judges look for include these points on binding:
Binding (more quilts are ruined by binding than anything else)
<OAre binding edges straight?
Is the binding width in proportion to the size of the quilt?
Does the batting fill the binding to the edge? (this remains a key factor)
If the binding is hand stitched, does the thread match the binding?
Are hand stitches tiny, tight and invisible?
Are all corners square or smoothly rounded?
Are miters and joins stitched both front and back? (this is a critical point, too. Miters come apart over time if not stitched closed and that is why it is preferred)

I square up, preliminary trim, and mark the binding edge line on the sandwich, but to make sure the binding is full, I don't do a final trim of the batting and backing until after the binding is machine stitched on the quilt top.

Using the stitching line as a guide, I trim the batting/backing to the width I want the binding to be. The thickness of the batting adds just enough 'extra' to guarantee fullness and using the stitching line as a guide guarantees an even binding edge and equal front and back width. This process works no matter what binding width you use because all you are adjusting is what's going inside, nothing else.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MDQuilter View Post
I used the Sharon Schamber method on my last quilt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE and I ADORE this method. it takes a lot longer than it usually does (for me) and it's slightly messy, but I couldn't stop staring at the 'perfection' of the binding. I normally just cut a three inch binding strip and machine stitch the binding on. There's always a flap of extra binding, but on utility quilts, this doesn't bother me at all. I will still do this, as it's quick and painless (can bind a queen size in less than an hour... yes please), but for the 'important' quilts Sharon's method is the one I'll use.
Thanks for the link.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Help. I need an explanation of #3. I just don't picture what you are describing. Thank you!
peace
Yes could you please? I'm not understanding this either.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:25 AM

I have found using silk thread works well when hand stitching binding. Invisifil is a brand of polyester 100 wt thread that also works well. If silk is strong enough to last in Kimonos for 100's of years it's strong enough to bind with.

I also would like more explanation of #3.

Finally when stitching corners to front of quilt make sure folded edges and raw edges line up perfectly then I drop the feed dogs to get a smooth slide under the presser foot and all my careful work doesn't get messed up.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

#3. You know when you fold the binding at the corner to make the miter? I believe she means that instead of placing the fold *exactly* on the cut edge of the quilt, you place the fold just a pin's width beyond the cut edge.