Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you get your quilt patterns? >

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Where do you get your quilt patterns?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Lately, I've been letting the fabric lead me into a pattern. I keep it simple, and they seem to turn out well. My dgd's quilt started with a block from EQ7. The 'truly spectacular' quilts would become my UFO's, as I don't have the patience to make what I consider 'truly spectacular' quilts.

There is one pattern that I absolutely love and would fall into my 'truly spectacular' quilt classification. It's called 'Country Hearts', uses 3 fabrics: 1 solid cranberry, one plaid cranberry and one white, and has at least a million pieces - well, maybe only 1500 or so. It's in a book called "Quick Rotary Cutter Quilts, Pam Bono Designs". published by Oxmoor House, 1994. Did I mention that I love quilts that use only 2 - 4 fabrics?

I look at the picture of this quilt at least once a week...maybe someday...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 PM

The wholesale company in Portland, EE Schenck, has many free patterns supplied by the mfgs of the cloth. http://www.eeschenck.com/default.asp...s=1&r=new_cust Upper left hand corner of the screen second column, click on quilts and projects....many, many patterns and projects there.

Last edited by GypsyRse1; 02-03-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 AM

I've gotten patterns from magazines, books, stores, classes, and online, plus classic patterns learned from individuals. But I rarely make a quilt exactly following the pattern. One magazine pattern, I enlarged from lap size to queen size. I've enlarged patterns from classes. Sometimes I'll take one element from a pattern and combine it with something else. For example, I was looking for a block to use as a frame for an applique I wanted to make. Lots of times, the magazines give me ideas on color combinations to try. I would never have combined purple and teal until I saw it in someone elses quilt. And for bargello, once you learn the technique, everything is your own design, unless you copy a pattern exactly.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM

Besides the above, I like to check out the new patterns at my lqs. I like Allpeoplequilt.com and some of the magazine websites have free patterns. There are a lot of free patterns out there. It's fun to change them and make them your own.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes make up my own, but I also have two books, one from my sister, and one from my husband. I like being different so very often I do small machine applique wall hangings. Also there are bunches to be found online.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by isewman View Post
Dont know if this will abe of any help. Check out quilterscache.com. They have alot of patterns and in sizes also.
This is what I do when looking for inspiration. There are tons of block patterns, then I have fun modifying them, enlarging them or seeing what kind of secondary pattern I can get by using more than one pattern. I have EQ and when I see something I like I usually work with it in EQ.