Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 AM

Brat: The checkerboard is your suggestion, the triangles are a modification of your latest round and the outside is Jabba's. Having so much fun with the border or round concept!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:01 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460428[/ATTACH]So happy with how my quilt top looks. Great round. Still need to do my other quilt top... I will probably use the same pattern.

good thing I posted the pix. I just found a mistake.... Again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	752.3 KB
ID:	460428  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM

I fixed the errors.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	824.2 KB
ID:	460432  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 AM

THAT IS SO CUTE! love it! yahoo! yee haa! you sure made that pop! tell me you aren't happy when you look at that quilt top? if you like pink (I like pink) that is cool can't wait to see what you do with the blue one!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460543[/ATTACH]I am contemplating Jaba's 1st round border for this round as I really like that block and thought about positioning the green so it forms a frame around the gold/red. Do you think the print is to jarring and that it needs to be more a tone-on-tone, have some viney fabric in this line? Or do you think the green needs to have figures like the narrower inner border? Just curious. You all have such good ideas and I want to learn from you.

Name:	100_3815 (Small).JPG
Views:	300
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	460543  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Quilter65, it's hard to tell but I'd try to see what a small border around it, maybe 1 1/2 or 2"' 1st looks like with the light fabric in your center and then the hour glass. I'm presuming you want to bring out the green's and use your center fabric and the corner stone gold in the next round but not sure what you have in mind.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Quilter65, it's hard to tell but I'd try to see what a small border around it, maybe 1 1/2 or 2"' 1st looks like with the light fabric in your center and then the hour glass. I'm presuming you want to bring out the green's and use your center fabric and the corner stone gold in the next round but not sure what you have in mind.
Quilter65, I agree with jaba, when I look at the block you have next to the first round my eye immediately goes towards it and I miss the rest of the quilt. I think that there needs to be a resting place between the two borders. I might make a round of green to set off the center & then add your next round. This is just my opinion, I'm still having thoughts about what to add to mine, feeling that the 6 1/2" border may be too large for my next border without breaking it up. I don't want my next border to overwhelm my center medallion.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 AM

do a 3.5 or a 4.5 inch border mamahen.

I think your patterned fabric is not too bold to bring out. Medallion quilts are busy. Face it. lol hard not to be with so much going on. The trick is to accent the center. I think more of the green would be great. If you want you could continue to use it as a slim line between rows or every other row.. a focal accent. Or you could chose to add it in the row itself. I would advise you me big queen of advice lol to make a couple blocks of whatever colors your thinking off using.. stand back and give it a look, squinting at it. does it make you happy? does one color stand out way too much for the others or does it compliment the quilt as a whole? I learned the hard way to make a couple blocks first before I cut enough for an entire round. You will find your much happier if you do this trust me unless your super great with colors and values. Even then sometimes it just doesn't work so check it out before you cut a whole bunch!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Thanks, Brat, yes I have learned that, too. That is why there is just one block. These border quilts seem harder to me that "ordinary" quilts for some reason. I wasn't at all pleased with the way they butted up together. Even have considered re-doing the first border because it seems dull or something. However, I will soldier on and try to figure out a combination that will work. One reason I wanted to get it to 24 was so I could use the 6 inch blocks. But they do seem too large to me. So I will muck about a bit and try to come up with a different idea. Anyone else have some salient advice to give me? I hope you are feeling well Brat and that things are going well for you. Had a follow-up to eye surgery yesterday and the office is beside the dialysis clinic. They weren't open because of the weather and I thought about you.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Yes, medallion quilts are a challenge. Everyone seems to be doing a great job.

Have an appointment today so have the day off. Therefore, I finished my second border.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460616[/ATTACH]
I used black and white to bring back to the centre kitty. White also lightened things up. The black is the same fabric as the previous round's blue, only with a black background. I originally had "solid" corner squares but decided the eye needed to continue in an unbroken line around the perimeter. I'm glad I did. I think the diamonds also make things a bit less busy.

Next border will be a challenge as I don't have enough of any of my Laurel Burch fabrics to do a large border. That's what I get for buying 1/2 meter cuts. Hopefully, one of the border options lends itself to multiple fabrics.

Name:	Second border complete.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	460616