Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading Needles for Sewing By Hand >

Threading Needles for Sewing By Hand

Threading Needles for Sewing By Hand

Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Pull the thread between your first finger and thumb until the end is just showing. L a y the needle on the thread and push it through. It takes practice but this is the only way I can thread those tiny needles.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:50 PM

You need this gadget called the Clover Desk Needle Threader. You loosely drape your thread over one slot, put your needle eye end down in another slot, push down on the lever and it threads your needle!!It is awesome, works 100% of the time, takes about 30 seconds to do, and needs no batteries or elec plugs. Got mine from fatquartershop. It was around $15. Best tool ever.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I've always had bad vision, but it's getting worse now.
I use a combination of things.
first I use nail clippers, I wet the thread end and clip them to a >
this way it's pointy and tapers.start lining up the thread BEFORE the hole. let the thread
slide up the needle. when you feel a slight bit of resistance, it's in the hole. yank with all
your life and get that sucka knotted b4 the needle falls off
Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 PM

i have purchased needles in the past with eyes too small to thread.

i say go buy another pack of needles and save yourself the aggravation.

it happens.

aileen
Old 02-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Snip the thread, you want a blunt end, no wild fiber hairs sticking out.
Hold the thread between your finger and thumb, pull the thread back down until there is only a dot of thread showing
Lay your needle eye down on the dot. Open your finger just a tad while setting the eye down, once you think it is down, roll your finger and thumb back up. The thread should be between your finger and thumb. I done this so many times I can almost do this without looking. lol AND go to the dollar tree and pick up some glasses. you want to be able to see 10 to 12 inches away clearly. you want to see black thread on black material. I have at least 6 pair all over the house. I wear a 2.50.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Default Threading Needles for Sewing by Hand

I have recently experienced a lot of difficulty threading needles. It had been a long time since I had my eyes examined, so I got my eyes checked and new lenses. I can now thread needles without difficulty. The eyes on some of these needles are much too tiny!

Jeanette
Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by cottage2 View Post
You need this gadget called the Clover Desk Needle Threader. You loosely drape your thread over one slot, put your needle eye end down in another slot, push down on the lever and it threads your needle!!It is awesome, works 100% of the time, takes about 30 seconds to do, and needs no batteries or elec plugs. Got mine from fatquartershop. It was around $15. Best tool ever.
I also have the Clover Threader. Love it and could not sew without it. I got mine at Joann's I think. I bought a Needle Nest (it's magnetic). and I thread about 10 needles at a time and the lay very nice in the Needle Nest.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 PM

I agree, best invention since sliced bread! I threaded 12 wt cotton through quilting needles with it. It's like magic happening
Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 PM

I'm trying to remember the make of big eyed needle which definately do a 10 as that is the only size I use.

Before threading,the end of the thread that comes from the spool, cut thread at 45' and then wet the eye of needle . DO NOT WET IN ANY WAY THE THREAD. Wet thread expands . Now hold needle in a position where you can easily see the eye to push thread through. Now cut thread length to about 18 inches, no longer.

When in the groove thread as many as you can in onego.

Good luck.
If having trouble find a friend. When having problems one day had my teenager nephews and friend fill about 20 . needles, the friend said he always did this for his gran.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 AM

Thanks for all the good advise. I think I will look for a clover threader thing. I have tried big eyed small needles and I can't pull it through the fabric. Also I am trying to use a cotton thread that is too thick. I will try a thinner one. I thought I wanted a thicker thread so the quilting would show up better. I have been using Mettler cotton. I don't know what weight. Very good suggestions everyone. I will try some of these.