Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 AM

Emma s- agree with Mammahen
Dotcomdtcm- great wall hanging, would love to see a whole quilt.
quiltaddiction- lovely, so bright and pristine, makes u smile
Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 AM

Wow, they're all looking great. I haven't decided what to go with. I'm finishing adding an extra border like Jaba recommended to increase the size of mine. Should finish today after quilting bee.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:31 AM

These are coming out so fun! I love the colors and the variety of choices everyone is making. If you think your quilt is too busy ADD A SOLID strip. Jaba did a medallion where she added a strip between each and every round. It broke things up nicely. I like small and large breaks (2 and 4") myself. I like your corners btw quilt addiction.

The kitty quilt is coming along so cute. Love the birch fabric also and most of these rounds can be done with as many fabrics as you want to use. You can do things a bit of this a bit of that make every other block a different pairing of colors I know my round had the option to use all scraps and if you look at mine it works. 6 different reds went into the chevron or rick rack pattern. so think outside the box and you will make your own version. As emma has shown its ok to just go for it with your centers.

The concern on one little quilt was overwhelming the center? a strip around it now would break it up, doing a checkerboard like the kitty quilt as on it is not too busy to go around and slow frame it a bit more. This is supposed to be a challenge. I know that for most of you this is the first time working on a quilt with so many borders and bordes that are not just wide strips. Think of what you will learn and how you can apply some of these borders on other projects you have that otherwise might have been bound up with a strip! your quilts will look like the ones you admire all the time in magazines and books. I am on my fourth round robin and still not tired of it.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Dot: Your quilt is so Springy and bright. Just what's needed on these dark dismal days. Addiction: Love what you've done this round. Part of the fun is the constant design decisions, on a regular quilt you usually make one or two and it's all over. This is much more a learning experience.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 AM

dotcomdtcm - cool
Quiltaddiction - I like the colour combination
Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 AM

They all look amazing! After doing these for awhile it becomes very hard to just put plain straight strips around a quilt for the borders. Some do look good that way but I'll bet you'll be looking at borders a little differently, I know I sure do. And the best thing about it, it's original and not a total copy of a pattern, and you designed it yourself.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 AM

Really enjoying what I'm seeing everyone doing! These are turning out beautifully.

I'm falling behind as life is quite busy lately, plus I've had a hard time deciding what looks good next.

Have tried several different ones and not been happy with any of them yet.

Am going to use the HST/qst one for sure in a later round because it really matches my center, but the size square I'm making is the wrong scale for now.

Think I'm going to use a 2" strip of my red and my blue side by side as a mitered frame before I add any type of pieced border.

And think the entwined border might also work with my fabrics if I do the background (the Texans fabric) as single pieces instead of multiple little squares and triangles. Will have to see on that one.

Sooner or later mine will all come together!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 AM

Scrolling through the designs gives me lots of ideas. I'll start a third center soon. I live in a stuffed apartment and have no need for any bigger quilts. Elisabrat and Jaba, thank you!!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Love all the centers so far, works4me, your cat is my favourite at the moment!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM

OK... I have a question. My block with the 1st border on it is 32" exactly. I would like to use the border that Brat posted on #782.... My quandary is, what size do I have to cut my pieces to make that border? When it comes to figuring how things will fit, my mind goes blank, doing plain borders no problem, but the piecing ones confuse me. I know someone on here can help me. :-) Thanks for any help..

Jean