Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading Needles for Sewing By Hand >

Threading Needles for Sewing By Hand

Threading Needles for Sewing By Hand

Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Dix

Try changing brand of thread. I always have used YLI thread and usually do not have any problem. Cutting the thread at an angle helps also.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 AM

cut the thread on an angle
Old 02-07-2014, 08:53 AM

I took an appliqué class and they use really tiny needles. She recommended the Sewline threader. Works like a charm!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460975[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_quickthru_needle_threader.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	460975  
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
If you will wet the eye of the needle (touch your tongue to it), sometimes that will pull the thread thru...and cut your thread at an angle to help get it started.
This technique works great for me if you still can't get the needle threaded try the other side. Needle eyes have an in and an out to them.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The hole is just too small to use a threader in my opinion. Try holding the needle in front of a dark surface so you can see the hole. Do this under a really good light and trim the thread end at a angle and try to thread the needle. Good luck because those things are tiny!
If you have someone that visits or a young quilter friend, (with young eyes) have them thread the whole package of needles onto the thread coming off your quilting thread spool and knot the end. When you are ready to sew, clip off the knot and pull the first needle and thread out with a long tail. Clip the thread and knot the thread coming off the spool again. This keeps the rest of the needles threaded and ready for the next time. You can quilt for a while before running out of threaded needles again.
What a terrific tip! I hand quilt only rarely....and clumsily -- though I'd love to be really good at it -- but this is such a great idea for those who do it regularly.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 AM

What a great thread. Pun intended. LOL. I like all the various tips and I'll certainly use many of them. Good luck Sinceresissy.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
I absolutely agree. With a 50% off coupon it's the best buy out there. Like the auto-threader on your machine. Works like magic and worth every penny! I bought it when I took a hand quilting class and needed to use the tiny-holed needles. Now I swear by it.
I have a clover needle threader and wouldn't be without it! It is amazing how well it works.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM

Old needles had bigger eyes! Cut open old tomato pincushions found at garage sales- Presto! Lots of good needles with big eyes!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 PM

I've been using this method and it seems to work for me. Hope this helps.
In the book "Simply Successful Applique" by Jeanne Sullivan she states: The thread that first comes off the spool is the tip end. This is the end that should be threaded into the needle's eye. Thread is spun directionally and placed on spools in a way that is intended to minimize twist while sewing. And for threading the needle: Cut the tip end of the thread at a slant for a fresh end with a sharp point. With your left hand, pinch the thread tip end between your thumb and index finger, leaving 1/16" exposed. Pick up the needle by its shaft with your right hand, lowering the eye down onto the thread tip. If it's stubborn, try flipping the needle over to the other side (one side of every needle eye is shaped with a special groove to guide the thread straight into it). If that fails, then use your scissors to clip off a fresh end. Be certain to clip at an angle.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM

I use floss threaders. They work great on hand and sewing needles and are especially helpful for sergers. They are very thin plastic loops.

Here's a picture: [ATTACH=CONFIG]461027[/ATTACH] There is Dentek and Butler Gum Brands that I've found.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FLoss.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	461027