Boom 11 - FAST & FURIOUS

Old 02-07-2014, 02:43 PM

I'm sorry to hear this...several packages I've rec'd have been FLAT RATE Priority and all the completed blocks have fit in. They are $5.60 for letter sized and $5.75 for legal sized. If you can, please use the flat rate envelopes to cut costs.

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
The PO said that it had to priority rate to get tracking - I paid $5.75 for the F8's when I sent them out. She said it had a 1# limit and the package I sent was over 1# so it went to $9.50 each way. I did this swap with my eyes wide open (regarding the new guidelines), so I have no complaints. Just saying I think it will be too rich for my blood to do it again! Paying around $24.00 for 15 blocks is hard to swallow for me.

Mamahauser, I used the tyvek (sp?) envelope. I understand buying the envelope already with prepaid postage, but how does the tracking work? Can you get that prepaid too? Thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM

FLAT RATE, LADIES, FLAT RATE!!!! Package everything tightly and don't use huge zip locks that take up a lot of space. It really is not necessary to use larger than legal sized FLAT RATE envelopes for this! Save your money for fabric!!!

Originally Posted by TheMamaHauser View Post
Did you use a flat rate envelope? A padded flat rate is $5 and change (it went up). AND you can mail those from home, no post office visit needed.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:15 PM

I buy my prepaid envelopes on line. They come with either a preprinted tracking number or a set of stickers. They are " forever" like the forever stamps, so i just use them whenever. They are $5.--. Can't remember exactly. So, it's still over $20. They are fairly flimsy cardboard so i beef it up with some tape. No weight limit that I'm aware of . Has worked so far. Hate to not see you on these!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM

I order Flat Rate envelopes (and other envelopes and boxes, too) straight from the USPS. They deliver them to my door, free of charge. The ones I get are not pre-paid, although pre-paid ones are available too. Here's the link:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...S_PriorityMail

Then, when I've got a package to ship, I've got my envelopes and boxes already on-hand.

I print my postage through PayPal since I've already got an account with them, but you can also print postage straight from the USPS website. Tracking for Priority Mail is included, and now they're including insurance as well (up to $50, I think). You don't have to buy expensive adhesive-backed labels. You can print them on regular printer paper and tape them securely to the package (just don't tape over the bar codes). Below are links for both:

PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

USPS: https://www.usps.com/ (once there, click on "Ship A Package", then "Print A Label With Postage")

After the label and postage are printed, I can request that my mail carrier pick up the package on her normal route. Here's the link to request a free pickup:

https://tools.usps.com/go/ScheduleAP...n!input.action

I don't even have to leave the house, and printing the postage online usually saves a few cents, because on many things the online price is a little cheaper. (Edited to add: For example, when I mailed my completed blocks back a few days ago, my padded Flat Rate envelope costed $5.05, and that included Delivery Confirmation and $50-worth of insurance.)

Last edited by moonrise; 02-07-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM

Oh, regarding the cardboard Flat Rate envelopes. I hate those flimsy things! I like the new padded poly mailer Flat Rate envelopes they have now. You can really pack those things full!

Just the other day I received a Flat Rate cardboard envelope that had gotten torn open. I'd ordered several charm packs, and they got separated from the envelope when it came open. Luckily the package was passing through a little rural post office when they discovered the opened package, and the post office was able to round all the charm packs up. They were delivered to me in a "body bag". Thankfully they were still in one piece, and none were missing. Got lucky on that one!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Abby's mom - what moonrise said in post #494. And ALL flatrate packages (except for the small envelope) are supposed to be up to 70# with no additional costs. I think maybe you had a priority envelope but not a flat rate priority.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:01 PM

I asked about the tyrik?? envelopes and THEY are done by weight...where the cardboard ones are ONE flat rate. Go to another postoffice if you can...I find the smaller towns are more cooperative and willing to work with you..I bought my stamp and the envelope when I started this swap and they told me just to come back when I was ready to mail it and they would give me a tracking number...free!! I sure hope you don't drop out Abbys mom...its been a joy to work with you all these swaps!!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Got this block from katskid in a side swap! Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kats kid side swap.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	461056  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461065[/ATTACH]

That is the padded flat rate envelope rate. 70lbs, 1 price.

You can order these envelopes for FREE. https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...atMSS_FlatRate

They will deliver them to your house. I generally order 2 packages of 20 each about every 6 months. You would be surprised just how much you can cram in there and not come close to 70 lbs.

I am wondering if you purchased a ready-post brand envelope at the store? Those are NOT flat rate, don't look like priority, but are generally stocked right next to the priority/flat rate supplies. You would absolutely pay based on the weight in addition to buying the envelope itself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatrate.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	461065  
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Gees I ordered the cardboard boxes, didn't know about the padded envelope. Thanks for all the info. Will order these for the slow and steady blocks. Terri