Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed >

2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed

2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed

Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by TwinRiverFarm View Post
I am auditioning a new-to-me pattern for my partners quilt. I figured it out from a picture, and the block ended up finishing at 20". Since it has a lot of pieces and looks great, I am thinking of a 3 by 3 layout. If the borders put the finished size to 70", will it be considered too big???
If you want to do it and your partner is ok with the size, then go for it.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM

got second block drafted and made. Partner says she likes my idea so forging ahead.[ATTACH=CONFIG]461063[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	baltimore 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	461063  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 PM

In the last 2 days, I've gotten 6 of the 12 strip sets required for the quilt pinned and sewn. I don't mind cutting or sewing strip sets but about the time I'm trying to iron 1.5" strips without melting my fingertips... I always say I'm swearing off strip sets for life.

On the other hand, I think that the pain of ironing stripsets is equivalent to the pain of childbirth. You're in absolute misery as it happens but then a day or two later you're back to thinking, "Oh that wasn't so bad..."
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by applique View Post
OK, finished the backing for our guild's raffle quilt. YEA!! Playing with chickens (very colorful chickens) before I get back to work. Here is a picture of the quilt backing and soon some pictures of cickens...just because I can and they are fun!
Stunning applique!
Chickens? You got my interest peaked. Can't wait to see them. It turns out one of two baby roosters, black copper marans, we got from some one turns out to possibly be female. At night they are in a bin in the garage but during the day they are in an op site down very large crate out on the lawn. The bin has netting and I can see them. They love eating grass and finding bugs.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM

You are two funny!! But so true!!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:43 AM

1.5 inch strip sets someone explain to me what this is? Kelly is is sashing? you got me on this and now I need to know!

I am going to buy more fabric on Wed (pay day) for your quilt Tammy. I have to wait as I want to get enough yardage so I don't run out and have to run back only to find that the fabric I chose is GONE! I am however going to keep nice and busy on it this weekend using the fabrics I do have to make a few blocks. Like the idea of one big center surrounded by blocks then a nice border.. think it would give a fun look to this quilt. Its obviously not a "serious" quilt.. angels? deer with bows on their necks? santas? my kind of quilt. wondering if a candy cane border red/white would be cute or a ribbon.. still stuck on the idea of a ribbon .. but with all my crazy border making lately I might come up with something even better yet. I am excited. I have this weekend to devote to your quilt top! Sunday and Monday. Oh minus Mondays Scarlet Hatters lunch. One of these days I will have to find something wild like they wear on their heads. feathers I see lots of feathers there. I think.. maybe I don't look so good in feathers hence why I wear a red shirt instead
Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 AM

I finally gotten to a stopping point on the Celtic Solistic mystery. woohoo finished step 5. It seeems like 8,000 pieces to make the King size. I now feel comfortable to put that aside and brainstorm on other projects.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 AM

Ok, I just had to share some of my feather work. I am so darned proud.....this is the first time they came out looking so professional! and LJDugas, hope this gives pleasant thoughts of how pretty your quilt is going to end up. Picking up the fabric today, will post a photo later today going to give lots of teasers just to keep the excitement high and because I really cant keep a secret to save my life lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461095[/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG_1009_zps33f2607a.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	461095  
Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
1.5 inch strip sets someone explain to me what this is? Kelly is is sashing? you got me on this and now I need to know!
Strip sets are strips of various thickness and generally lengths which are WOF that you sew together long-wise. Then you press them open, pray each and every seam is straight, and cut slices that are perpendicular (a right angle) to the seams. That way you end up with a ton of little tiny squares without having to CUT and SEW little tiny squares.

Strip quilting is a technique that is easy to do but difficult to do well (can I get an "I concur" from anyone out there?) and is used for bargello quilts and other applications which require a million and elevnty small squares in a specific pattern.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461129[/ATTACH]

This was all done with strip sets - approximately 15 of two different layouts which are then sliced, spliced, and sewn back together.

Name:	IMG_0259[1].jpg
Views:	143
Size:	879.2 KB
ID:	461129  
Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 AM

TheMamaHauser, I think I've seen little silicone fingertip covers for just that purpose in one of my quilting notions books. It would be worth getting for anyone who makes a lot of strip sets. Also for ironing binding, too! Ouch!