Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking a sewing machine on a plane >

taking a sewing machine on a plane

taking a sewing machine on a plane

Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I have a small janome that I think will fit under the seat as a carry on and I want to bring it to my DIL rather than ship it. I have the medium size tuto luggage I could put it in but that is a bigger carry on and if I get caught in a situation where they have too many roller luggage in the bins and start making people check luggage I would be in trouble. So how have you handled taking a sewing machine on a plane? I am flying on Southwest.

Thanks!
Why would you be in trouble if they checked the bags in the bins?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Why would you be in trouble if they checked the bags in the bins?
if the bins get full they take the roller bags and throw them in the cargo hold and the machine could be damaged by the rough handling.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:36 AM

Please let us know how things went.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 AM

I had a Babylock 7500 that fit perfectly in a case I had and carried it on the plane. No problems!! Now if you have a long way to walk through the airport, you might think about that. I had a walker and placed it on the seat, otherwise I couldn't have carried it all the way.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:05 AM

Last summer I took an IKEA SY sewing machine to Lithuania. It was packed into a regular suitcase surrounded by clothing and got there just fine. Coming home I had only one suitcase, and had to abandon the sewing machine. The young man I gave it to at the airport was thrilled to get it. So that trip cost me $70 more than expected.

Last night I saw a Janome sewing machine that weighs five pounds. Hancocks has it on sale this next week for about $50. That's the one that is going with me this year. It does straight sewing and zig-zag. Nothing else. That's enough for me. I think it's going into my purse. LOL
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM

There are several other machines as well that are five pounds. I googled and found a Janome 10-stitch Derby in various colors that's five pounds and costs around $59-69.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:24 AM

After having read all the comments and the Bonnie Hunter blog - what a horror story, I think I'd go along with the preshipping. It may cost a little more than carryon, but it will definitely cost less than a destroyed machine. Just my opinion. Joyce
Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 AM

I bought a heavy old machine while on vacation. It was wrapped good and boxed up. My husband and the TSA agent had a good laugh when it went through the scanner.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 AM

DO NOT SHIP YOUR MACHINE VIA UPS....Probably anyone else, unless you have the original factory box and packing that it came in. Even then, you are taking a chance. Ask me how I know. A lady had UPS pack the Janome 10000 she shipped to me. She insured it. Thank goodness. The box was crushed, it was wide open on one side, the feet were everywhere, no telling how many are still in the UPS conveyor system. Cracked the hard case. When I filed a claim the agent said, no sewing machine is worth that kind of money....What? I asked him how he would like it if his laptop was dropped from the cargo hole to the tarmack. I told him my machine was a computerized machine...he got quiet.
The next machine I had shipped to me was in a Janome original shipping box, then wrapped again. Something sharp pieced the top of the box and cracked the hard case and the top of the machine. That claim got me to a supervisor in a processing facility, who actually told me that NO MATTER IF YOU PUT THIS END UP, OR FRAGILE ON THE OUTSIDE YOUR PACKAGES GO END OVER END ON NUMEROUS CONVEYORS...ABOUT THE ONLY TIME WE PAY SOME ATTENTION IS WHEN WE SEE THE WORD GLASS ON THE OUTSIDE! My dealer now puts glass on the outside of all their boxes. To your issue. Take exact measurements of your machine in a bag, call Southwest, get a name of the person you talk to, ask them is you pay the $12.50 and board early, will this size bag fit in under the seat or overhead. Tell them you prefer not to ship nor do you want it in the cargo. Rather than using the machine case, get a small luggage roller bag or large backpack with rollers that you know will pass the measurement test. I asked a man to help put mine in a bin,by itself. I waited for everyone to start leaving the plan before I got my machine. and Yes, this will be counted as your carry on. So put soft items in the bag around your machine. Wear a criss cross purse under your jacket for other "stuff". Calling ahead is a good idea. Good Luck and Happy sewing.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 02-08-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Bonnie Hunter had a problem when flying last year - she was forced to check her Featherweight that she brought onboard as her carry on - was quite a nightmare for her:
http://quiltville.blogspot.ca/2012/0...to-united.html
Do we know whether she got any compensation ?