Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a "class" machine that actually works! >

Need a "class" machine that actually works!

Need a "class" machine that actually works!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
Take a look at the Brother CS6000i. I know a lot of people look down on machines you can get at Walmart, but this is a really nice machine with a lot of features for the price. I've been using mine for about 6 years and had no problems. It is pretty lightweight and I've taken it with me on trips. You can do a search here on the QB, some other members also have had good luck with this machine. Also look online for other reviews. For low cost and lightweight, I think this one is a winner. The throat is small so quilting any big projects is difficult, but for piecing or quilting small items it works great. Below is a link to it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur...rother+cs6000i
I agree! I have one. Easy, lightweight and does the job. You're right about the small throat. Don't plan on any BIG size quilting projects. This machine is worth the price.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
My goodness, you are so lucky to attend 10 classes a year. I get to take about three, but I love taking my Janome 3160 to class. Is 11 lbs. and has the thread cutter feature, which is great of piecing,....that is all I do in these classes is piecing, so it moves along quickly with the cutter feature. It has a lot of other features as well, check that one out.
If you don't want the cutter, then opt for the Janome Jem. Janomes have a metal frame so it will stand up to a lot of use. Check dealers for a used 3160 is the price of a new one is too high.
I am lucky! Our Guild offers a number of classes--some one day and one a series of 6 "challenge" blocks--and rarely is there a cost beyond the membership. We have fabulous retreats also--so I feel very lucky. And my LQS will have some classes that are also very reasonable in price. Even more reason to get a sturdy travel machine. I think you've hit on the key thing--the frame being metal as opposed to a plastic shell that holds the gears. Of course that means more weight.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:19 AM

My daughter-in-law got an inexpensive Singer from JoAnn's. It was past the 90 day warranty when she asked me for help getting it to sew right. She thought she was doing something wrong. It was the machine that was wrong. The bobbin case was misshapen. I spent time on the phone with the repair service that JoAnn's uses walking me through things and they finally said it would need to be sent to them to be repaired and gave me a rough estimate on the cost. The machine was sent to them and the repair cost more than the machine did. When she tried to use it the same thing happened after a little bit of sewing. I found her a good high-end used machine for less than what she had invested in the Singer, she junked the Singer and she is happily sewing away now. I would never buy an inexpensive Singer from JoAnn's or anywhere after that experience.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I use my Featherweight, or my 301A. Great machines!
Perhaps a small Pfaff, or a Janome. Do you have a local SM shop you can go look-?

great...if you can find them. Or have the time and desire to look for them. My 2 cents. Glad for all you FW /301 users. Personally....not on my radar.

Sandy
Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Don't give up on looking just because you seem to want something now. Be careful of the low cost Brother's at Walmart. I too bought a cheap machine there, thought I had a great deal, but it ended up costing more in repairs than I paid for the machine, and then it died completely at 8 months of age. I'm not saying you couldn't get a nice one, but make sure you know what the warranty covers and be careful to keep your receipt. At the first hint of trouble, take it back. I waited too long and just lost out on a return. Then I found a Janome MC 9700 on Craig's List for $800, complete with cabinet and sewing accessories. It was 3 years old and had been used once (literally!). It's my "Dream Machine" and a real work horse and the only "repairs" it has had in the past 2 years is a cleaning. You can still get this model brand new but it's around $2400 last I saw. Check out Craig's list, or even check out the local charity stores. I just saw a Bernina at a Salvation Army Store for $50 and those ARE worth fixing, trust me. It was only 6 years old and came from an estate. Sometimes they'll get a good machine donated because it was part of an estate and no one else in the family sews. I guess my advice boils down to check around before restricting your list to just products found at Walmart. Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
Take a look at the Brother CS6000i. I know a lot of people look down on machines you can get at Walmart, but this is a really nice machine with a lot of features for the price. I've been using mine for about 6 years and had no problems. It is pretty lightweight and I've taken it with me on trips. You can do a search here on the QB, some other members also have had good luck with this machine. Also look online for other reviews. For low cost and lightweight, I think this one is a winner. The throat is small so quilting any big projects is difficult, but for piecing or quilting small items it works great. Below is a link to it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur...rother+cs6000i
This is what I was going to suggest as well. This is my travelling machine and it sews beautifully. My daughter liked mine so much we bought her one. You wouldn't believe the creative items that girl comes up with, and all sewn on her Brother CS6000i. It even has a plastic extension table.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM

I use a Babylock Grace. Love it.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM

So just an update: the very cheap Singer that was my Mom's is going to my sister for the automatic buttonhole (her very expensive late 70's Bernina doesn't have one and this does work on it). The Singer H74(which is a lightweight electronic one)was picked up today from a local Singer repairman (I live in the country and he doesn't work out of a large store). Said he'd call me with a diagnosis tonight and likely be able to get it back to me as early as tomorrow (and I've been told he's very reasonable!). So keep your fingers crossed that this baby is ready to travel to a class this next Sat. Last Sat. I broke down and took my fancy Elna--even though it was in a wheeled travel case, the snow and crack in the sidewalk bumped the case over and when I unpacked at home, the thread spool "pole" (plastic) had broke off! Luckily there are 2 and the Elna will go to the store I bought it at for it's annual cleaning/check up while I get a trip to Phoenix in early March.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 PM

I took a slightly different approach for my "traveller". I have a very heavy Crescendo that goes nowhere, but ended up buying the Brother 950, with is a combo sewing embroidery. It sews great, and gives me the ability to do a little bit of embroidery. Figured if I was getting a second machine, I would get the additional functionality. Really like it!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:17 PM

it's done! I got the Singer H74 repaired--not as cheap as I'd like, but since an almost new machine with lots of the features I want, plus very light weight, guess it's worth it. Plus the local repair guy guarantees it for a year. Said that there was something bent(he named it but it was 7:30 in the morning when he dropped it off!) that was deep in the machine and had ruined some cam and bushing too. Said that unfortunately, both Singer and Brothers sometimes just don't leave the factory in good shape--like buying a "lemon" car. SO glad I won't have to take my nice Elna to my next class! Thanks for all your ideas and help.