Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine >

New machine

New machine

Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Default New machine

I am thinking about getting a more advanced sewing machine than my current Brother XL2600i. I am looking for an affordable machine, one with a needle down position, more decorative stitches (specifically a wavy line stitch), and more space in between the needle and arm so I can try free motion quilting (its impossible in my current machine, I can't turn quilts because they get stuck). It would be a bonus if its a Brother so I wouldn't have to buy new feet. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 AM

I don't know of any "affordable" machines with large beds. Those start at about $2000.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 AM

I was wrong about the prices. The Pfaff Smarter line has a slightly large bed for $999, at least they are on ebay for that amount.....not sure if you consider that affordable.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM

The Pfaff Expression line has a couple of machines with about 10" throats, several stitches and even feed for quite a bit less than 2000.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 AM

I am looking at a new machine due to having ankle problems. I need one that has an on/off button to sew. I have a older Pfaff that I bought on Ebay one of the first embroidery machines 7570. I don't embroider with it much, because it is so hard to use, but it is a great sewing machine. I am looking at the Pfaff Ambition line specifically the 150 and 100. They have a lot of great features for the price range of 750.00 to 850.00. I don't know if the bed would be big enough for what you are wanting to do or not. I just think with this line you get a lot for your money. I love the IDT on Pfaff. Let us know what machine you decide on.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 PM

There is the pc-420 that has around 7 inch har, the pq1500s straight stitch with 9 inch harp, there is laura ashley wich have almost 9 inch