Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Favorite Things Tablerunner/Mat swap!! Sign ups Close January 10th >

Favorite Things Tablerunner/Mat swap!! Sign ups Close January 10th

Favorite Things Tablerunner/Mat swap!! Sign ups Close January 10th

Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 PM

Well, I admit that my idea was rather ambitious to begin with, and when I put the borders on, it looked like a "hurry up and slam it together", which isn't what I envisioned. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with something a little more jazzy than my original design. I'm almost done, and this time it's going to work!
I did shirk today, I am putting my sewing room together which keeps pulling me away from sewing. Tomorrow I will get my top finished and will be machine quilting the table mat.
I plan on mailing before the week is out.

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
can I ask what is frustrating you on your quilt tops? I hear seam ripping, seam ripping and wonder is it the combo of fabrics your not feeling? the design? simple is sometimes very nice in fact a lot of the time.. if you post maybe your trouble or write to Teresa or one of your fellow quilters maybe someone can help? glad to offer some advise if you would like two bits from another quilter. I know this is one fun swap. In an effort to keep it fun and light why not work with your partner to come up with something simplier.. one favorite thing not five. that should make it plum easy.. and you will finish on time and mail ON TIME and your work will make you happy and your partner happy. I wish that all of you can finish as best you can. Its all your partner is hoping for too.

I am working on my mothers favorite things quilt top. Each round on the quilt is to represent her favorite flowers. My issue? they don't particularly go together. a big challenge .. I find gorgeous flower fabrics individually but not so much when you dump them on top of each other.. I may have to rethink my drink here on the flowers or be prepared for a hodge podge of stuff in a quilt. if your quilted mat is not working .. figuring out WHY is the biggest challenge then you can move forward. Reduce your challenge ladies and gents. This weekend I know you can make a huge dent on any sewing you have to do. I have seen the work everyone here produces. I know you can do it
Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MizMelly View Post
Well, I admit that my idea was rather ambitious to begin with, and when I put the borders on, it looked like a "hurry up and slam it together", which isn't what I envisioned. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with something a little more jazzy than my original design. I'm almost done, and this time it's going to work!
I did shirk today, I am putting my sewing room together which keeps pulling me away from sewing. Tomorrow I will get my top finished and will be machine quilting the table mat.
I plan on mailing before the week is out.

Oh Boy! I've been there!!! more times than I care to admit. Used to be I'd put it away to come back to later...ha ha
As I've come to terms with my own quilting and creative abilities, I now either refashion it or just start over. I'm so happy to hear you got over that hurdle. Onward and Upward
I bet it's going to be beautiful!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:48 PM

Oh yes! I've been there too...to many times than I care to admit!! I do the same thing Teresa, refashion it, to me that's probably a slice and dice, or start over. Worked a little on my partner's quilt for the Quilt for quilter's swap and actually labeled some drawers to finally get each fabric in their own space. Really so I can find it instead of looking 3 or 4 places. Drawer for Valentine's, Halloween, St. Patty's, Patriotic, etc.....I've got to get these fabrics together so I remember where they are and I can find them.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

For me it seems that my problem is the fabrics just isn't
"talking" to me I have tried a D9P, made 2 blocks and I
didn't like it at all (it wasn't working for the fabrics). Next
I tried just plain ol' blocks no pattern, that wasn't working
for me either.

So I changed fabrics, it is better so far, but still not grabbing
my interest. But I like the fabrics I am working with now so
much more than the last group of fabrics.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Hi Patty, I just packed up your table mat and hope to get to the post office tomorrow. There is lots of snow here so I may wait until Tuesday. I will let you know. I guess I forgot about this being Favorite Things but I did use colors you mentioned were in your home. That has to be some kind of favorite....
Sue
Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Ok, here's sneak peek #2.
I'm ready for the binding!! Just don't look too close at my attempt at free motion quilting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Table mat sneak peek.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	867.1 KB
ID:	461415  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 PM

Sue, I've been carrying yours around in my truck all over the place for the last four or five days. Don't brave the snow on my account! Wait till its safe to drive.

We've had the crazy weather here lately. One of my friends posted on Facebook after this past weeks whatever " the rest of the country gets rain, sleet and snow. Houston gets 'Dippin Dots'".

It looked more like somebody crunched up a bunch of styrofoam packing peanuts all over the steps and the windshields. Lol!

Yesterday was yukky cold, feel like noses and toes are gonna freeze, today it got up to 70•. Crazy, crazy.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Banned

I got the top finished.

Kept TRYING to go with patterns & prints that just wouldn't
work right once I started on the sewing.
So in the end I caved in and went with the fabric I purchased
as an after thought alternative for this project. So far I am
VERY happy with the way it is looking.

Now I am off to my fabric room to find batting, and backing.

Here is a SMALL peek at the colors MizMelly I hope you like
these colors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461594[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2901 (Small).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	461594  
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM

OOOoooOOO, what a pretty Blue! If MizMelly just can't stand it, haha I have just the right spot for it!

Last edited by tlambing; 02-10-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Oh yum! I LOVE turquoise and the gray looks great with it!! Can't wait!!!!!