Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with a machine in a vehicle >

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

One can do hand piecing of other things than hexies or yoyos.

Jinny beyer said she did a lot of hand piecing while traveling. ( do not know if one can do that on public planes any more)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I think if you are planning on machine sewing in a moving vehicle you should make sure you program your GPS before you leave to highlight any and all medical facilities on your route so you know where to go when you sew over your finger ! Just a thought !
lol,yes just a good thought
Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM

I had a friend that knitted all the time in the car and in the dark. she was so good she could do it. Why not try hand quilting? I would. You could hand piece too. I have had a SIL in our car knitted a baby quilt on the way to indiana from Texas. finished it too.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:55 PM

I think you should plan on carrying some hand work. Start something now at home so you know you'll like it and are able to do it while riding. Of Course you could always just enjoy the scenery.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 PM

I would give it a try with a handcrank and some string piecing. Maybe one of those older Singers for kids. Also in the tutorials there is an idea for a quilt with fabric squares crocheted together. Maybe that would work. Make the squares at home and do the crochet in the car. Two hobbies at once. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM
yel

my girlfriend takes a quilt that needs binding on when we go on road trips.....
Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 PM

There was a youtube videoI saw once with a farm woman setting the tractor on its GPS autopilot & then she sewed while the tractor went down those loooonng rows. It would be difficult to sew in a car, but not impossible. I would get a half-size cookie sheet and as small a machine as you could find.

I have tried to do hand embroidery, but it was difficult. We were in our pickup pulling our trailer. It is not as smooth as you might think.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM

I wouldn't have thought it was legal to use a machine of any kind in a moving vehicle. I do know you are not allowed to even sit in a caravan while travelling.
A sewing machine even a hand crank would not be safe in a moving vehicle incase of an emergency stop etc. it would become a flying object.
Hand work or pinning ready for sewing I. The evening would be my best suggestion, can you imagine the picture sewing machine sitting on the steering wheel as you travel along the roads. It would be easier to be a pilot and put it on auto.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:56 PM

what a great thread! i would either crochet or do hexies. i am really feeling the need to start a hexie while watching tv at nite. but i have to finish some ufo's first! good luck! i would stick to a needle run by hand rather than machine powered while in a car!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:02 PM

We have made a lot of trips from our home in the Texas panhandle to the far side of Oklahoma to see about my father in law. I always to oh hand work with me. When the time came for his burial, in Wisconsin, I took hand work along to occupy my hands and mind. I don't think machine sewing in a moving car would be safe.
D