Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads >

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM

I would have never learned if I had not all the failures. Failures bring good results.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:48 PM

Thanks for posting this information. This thread should really have a "sticky" on it. I have an old black Necchi with a lot of crazing on the bed only and this sounds like exactly what I need to fix it.

John
Old 02-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NapaJohn View Post
Thanks for posting this information. This thread should really have a "sticky" on it. I have an old black Necchi with a lot of crazing on the bed only and this sounds like exactly what I need to fix it.

John
Be patient.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM

Amazing thread! Thank you so much for all this information! I have been sewing on my various Singers for many years and I now have lots of tips on how to spiff them up and make them glow.

I wonder if any of you have tried to restore the cases for the portable Singer models? I went looking for replacement cases and found that they can cost more than the machine heads...YOW! I have 2 cases that need restoration. One is for my 1950s, Singer 403A...a trapezoid style that has lost its vinyl skin and is coming apart. The other case is for my 1955, 99K that is starting to show some fraying on the (varnished?) cloth skin, near the edges. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Amazing thread! Thank you so much for all this information! I have been sewing on my various Singers for many years and I now have lots of tips on how to spiff them up and make them glow.

I wonder if any of you have tried to restore the cases for the portable Singer models? I went looking for replacement cases and found that they can cost more than the machine heads...YOW! I have 2 cases that need restoration. One is for my 1950s, Singer 403A...a trapezoid style that has lost its vinyl skin and is coming apart. The other case is for my 1955, 99K that is starting to show some fraying on the (varnished?) cloth skin, near the edges. Any ideas?
Jmiller has done a lot with the old cases
Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Thanks, I'll look JMiller up and see what has been posted.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 AM

Hi, bit nervous about using your techniques (not that i don't trust them it's more trust in my self) The central decals are flaking, the metal parts are coming up well although being in the UK I can't get the brands you talk about (unless someone can point me in the right direction) I would appreciate some pointers before showing this 1919 lady some care and attention

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461523[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	768.6 KB
ID:	461523  
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oxonchris View Post
Hi, bit nervous about using your techniques (not that i don't trust them it's more trust in my self) The central decals are flaking, the metal parts are coming up well although being in the UK I can't get the brands you talk about (unless someone can point me in the right direction) I would appreciate some pointers before showing this 1919 lady some care and attention

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461523[/ATTACH]
Glenn uses the 'naptha' to clean the machine of dirt and oil. Naptha is not a brand it is like lighter fluid. Then it is gone over with a a little rag on the finger dipped in a little 'denatured alcohol' then the same rag is dipped in a bit of 'boiled linseed oil' - any brand will work - keep the rag tight. Then it is gone over with some 'shellac' thinned with denatured alcohol. You might put a little shellac on the decals to keep them intact. The items are not bought by brand but by 'chemical' - the photos are just so you get some idea what to ask for at a hardware store. So when you go to the store ask for Naptha, denatured alcohol, boiled linseed oil and shellac. The rag needs to be clean and lint free. It is a bit scary at first - once you have done it you will find it is pretty simple.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Banned

Looks to me like it could benefit from a real good Sewing machine oil cleaning first..... you do not want to mix the dirt in with the shellac.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Well...wouldn'tcha know it. right after I discovered this thread, I bumped into a little FW that was just perfect except for one thing. It's finish is peeling away all around the lower part of the base of the head. I think it may have been sitting in water for awhile. The oil pan finish is a little bubbled up too. The inside gears and mechanisms look OK though...no rust. The bed looks almost perfect, except for a couple of light scratches and a small, bumbled touch up that the previous owner did. Those are easy fixes. However, I need some advice on how to repair the peeling paint. This is a 1951 FW and I'm wondering if they still used shellac finishes on them? It is seriously coming off of the body all along the 4 sides. It may be able to be repainted and then blended in at the top edge without being very noticeable. Please help...thanks. I will post some pix tomorrow.
~ Cindy