Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with a machine in a vehicle >

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Sewing with a machine in a vehicle

Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM

Well as odd as it may "seam" I have a plug in the back seat of my new car. I can plug in a crock pot and let it cook away while I drive long distances. Why not a machine? I suspect that either of these appliances could cut down on the MPG but if I was desperate I would try it.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Well as odd as it may "seam" I have a plug in the back seat of my new car. I can plug in a crock pot and let it cook away while I drive long distances. Why not a machine? I suspect that either of these appliances could cut down on the MPG but if I was desperate I would try it.
wow that is a new one to me , plug in the crock pot .... man a woman can't get away from cooking any more. lol
Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM

I finished hand quilting a quilt in the front passanger seat of a motor home. any farther back, and it's too bouncy. even took my sewing maching with me one winter, but never could get the hang of it. never enough room, or a comfortable enough table. did take a 'big' quilting frame 'loaded' once. quilted on a dear jane quilt some. but still, took up tooo much room to set it up. and couldn't get comfortable.
now if you were 95 lbs, and your motor home was a 70 footer, with 4 expando's I see where it would be possible.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM

If I had an RV I think I would try sewing. I would mount the sewing machine so it cant not move or fly away. I would put in a converter box so you can use a electric machine . I use a small one like a feather weight or some small machine. I would also get some band aid because u might sew your finger on bump. lol . But I think it would work. I would think if you had the machine mounted so it cant move , it would be no defiance than having a stove or refrigerator in the RV. This only my thoughts
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM

I'd stick with hexies or blades for a Dresden maybe. Don't know where I would have room in a car for a machine.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Not funny at all. I have done yo yos....knitted a scarf going from Dallas to Sweetwater Texas....3.5 hours each way,
Fort Worth to Magnolia AR....over 5 hours....lots of road projects....I purchased a power strip that plugs in the car.
I plug in my laptop and watch quilting/sewing dvd's. If you can buckle yourself in the back seat, and fit a small table that goes over your lap and sits on the seat like a computer lap desk, but with supports on the side, that might work. If you put a small table in the car, you would not have control in the event of sudden stops,...you would have the machine and table falling towards you... I have sewn on my machine in the RV, but not in the car. If you do this for the car, you and your husband need to anchor the table and place drawer liner under your machine. A small Singer FW would work....but you have to have a level stable table. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Anything is possible if you try hard enough. I have done a lot of needle turn applique while traveling and some embroidery but any sewing has always been by hand. With one of those lap desks that is filled with Styrofoam beads sitting on your lap, I don't see why you couldn't be able to do it. Try it and be sure to let us know
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM

I would be so happy to be going to tx i'd be singing the whole way, until dh pushed me out of the car, at least! I can see trying to sew on a table with the machine clamped down. what kind of vehicle are you in? if you have generated electrical service I would use a featherweight or a gem, something small. this is just for piecing , right? and bring a seam ripper! I can see lots of ripping out. and don't forget the band aides!!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Don't mean to be a spoilsport, but sewing with a machine in a moving vehicle is courting disaster! If, heaven forbid, you are in an accident, the machine would become a "missile" and at the very least would cause you great bodily injury if not kill you. Anything not tied down in the car becomes airborne in an accident. The heavier the object, the more likely to cause injury or death. Also, think about what would happen if your airbag deployed...you would now have a sewing machine (no matter how small or light) buried in your face or chest. Not a pretty picture. Yes, I understand people use their machines in their RVs, but here again, if they are not secured to a table, they can also become airborne in an accident.

Sorry to be so graphic, but as a former EMT and ER worker, I've seen too many injuries/deaths caused by things "flying" in a car during an accident.

Anita
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM

I want to second what ILoveToQuilt wrote. An EMT told me one time that a woman in our community had died mysteriously in an otherwise survivable wreck. It took them awhile to figure out that the injury to the back of her head was caused by a kleenex box which flew off the back package rack and struck her going about 40 mph when the car came to a sudden stop. It was found dented in with the shape of that poor woman's scull. You might want to reconsider even small objects such as a sewing needle when you think about an airbag knocking it into you. Enjoy the scenery. Bring good music and talking books. Put your purse and other objects (always) on the floor and well away from the driver's feet. Happy travels!