some "Sunshine" for today

Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Default some "Sunshine" for today

This is a newer Davis machine - takes the 15x1 needles. It came yesterday.

I've discovered it takes the same feet as the New Home, and the cover plate is just a hair wider than what fits the White. I do have one shirr plate that fits. All the NH feet I have are either in boxes marked "New Home" or have "New Home" marked on them. So though I can use them on this machine, none of them were sold for use with a Davis machine.

With all the Davis made machines ( also sold through Sears) out there, there should be more attachments for them. And maybe I discounted anything with the flat style shirr plate - attributing it to White. Though most of the "White" VS sets say "White" on the box.

This machine did give me a bit of a scare. I opened up the slide plate and could not see the shuttle arm. So without really looking, I reached up and turned the flywheel - and nothing showed up in the opening. So I gave the wheel another turn, and still no shuttle carrier!

And then I realized nothing else was moving either LOL!! - tighten up the knob and then everything moved like it should and the shuttle carrier (with shuttle) appeared.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Nice find! The decals look to be in great shape. I think it'll clean up quite nicely.
Rodney
Old 02-12-2014, 01:21 PM

Pretty Davis model D likely made in the first half of the 1910's. Good to know about the New Home foot mounted attachments working on Davis Underfeeds.

Jon
Old 02-12-2014, 01:46 PM

What's a day without sunshine?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 PM

I think I figured out why I have no attachments that fit this machine. From what I've seen, this would have been teh "open toe" type of feet.

Greist had a "generic" set that is this way, but has a shirr plate and underbraider for a round needle plate machine. After looking around (and at some pictures listed as "Davis attachments" I see that there is another set like this that comes with the under braider and shirr plate for a rectangular needle plate. I've been skipping over all the open toed sets - assuming I already had that one LOL!!

And there are quite a few sets like this - so getting one is not going to prove difficult.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Pretty machine, congratulations!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day
When it's cold outside I've got the month of May
I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
My sewing machine.....

Nice one you've got (again !!!). how many more are you waiting to arrive. lucky you.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think I figured out why I have no attachments that fit this machine. From what I've seen, this would have been teh "open toe" type of feet.

Greist had a "generic" set that is this way, but has a shirr plate and underbraider for a round needle plate machine. After looking around (and at some pictures listed as "Davis attachments" I see that there is another set like this that comes with the under braider and shirr plate for a rectangular needle plate. I've been skipping over all the open toed sets - assuming I already had that one LOL!!

And there are quite a few sets like this - so getting one is not going to prove difficult.
Can you post a pic of what "open toe" looks like? Thanks
Nice looking Sunshine! pic looks a little blue, but I assume it's black?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Nice machine!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:05 PM

I'll post pictures when I get home - I'm in the office today - they don't let me work from home all the time LOL!!