Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Just For Dishes Anymore ! >

Not Just For Dishes Anymore !

Not Just For Dishes Anymore !

Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 AM

I love you slightlyoff!!! You and muskrat are 'out of the box'!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 AM

VERY clever idea!!! Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM

Great idea. I'm going to make some for myself & my friends.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM
JJC

Red face

A great tip and I'll have to get a pair of those and try this idea!

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
We all have them. Those tools we use in our quilting room, that were never intended to be used for that purpose. Wallpaper seam rollers, painters tape, chop sticks, the list is long and plentiful. Well, I have a new one , to me at least !

I know everyone loves to talk about what they like to use to keep their hands from slipping when free motion quilting, and I have tried alot of them. Before I came up with this idea I was using the machingers gloves, but they made my hands sweaty, and I had to take them off any time I wanted to change a needle, or rethread, then put them back on again. Plus, I have this OCD thing with hyper sensitive skin, and the gloves really sent me to the brink at times. Once I got my machine frame, I never really thought about it again, no more gloves ! Now that I have gone frame free again, I really had to come up with something else.
These are Scotch-Brite Stay Clean Scrub Sponges. You can get them at almost any grocery or dollar store. There are 2 styles of these, one has a regular sponge on one side and scratchy scrubber on the other. This kind that I use has little rubber nubs on one side and micro fiber on the other.

When I first got the idea to try these I was thinking that the nubby side would be great for gripping the fabric, but its not ! Those little nubs slide all over the place ! Now the micro fiber side is perfect ! No slip at all ! They fit perfectly to the shape of my hand too and that is a nice comfort plus !

All I did was sew on some 1 inch elastic to the sides for my hands to slide into and allow me to move my hands without losing the sponge ! I have been in heaven since I made them the other night. No more sweaty hands and slipping my hands in and out of them is super quick and easy ! Plus, they are MUCH more economical to replace when they get icky !
Old 02-14-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by muskratwine View Post
I too didn't like the gloves but got a better tip from a friend who is a fabulous machine quilter - use glycerin!! A drop on the palms of your hands makes them just tacky enough to grip the fabric. It does not stain the fabric, is good for your skin and is cheap. A bottle which will last a lifetime is only a couple dollars. I found mine in the first aid aisle at Wal-Mart.
I have met some quilters who use this method as well ! I have some OCD issues and can not even bear to use regular hand lotion=s that I can feel on my skin, so this is most defiantly not something I could ever do LOL !
Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 PM

Hooray for you. wonderful idea.....
Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 AM
KLO

This surely seems like a great idea! I use inexpensive garden gloves too but I like your idea better because I won't have to keep taking the gloves off when I need my fingers. Hands should slip out of these easier and quicker. And the price is superb, much cheaper that those Batt Scooters. Thanks for this tip.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM

I will have to.pick up some of that type of sponge and give it a whirl. I have problems with gloves too:-)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.