Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Toyota Sewing Machine >

New Toyota Sewing Machine

New Toyota Sewing Machine

Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM

Found this on the web based on the serial # prefix-

Sears source #s for sewing machines:

117=White (Also 2 models from Gritzner-Kayser in Germany that White imported for Sears.

120=New Process Gear Corporation. (A division of Chrysler when these were made in the 1950s.

148=Soryu in Japan

158=Maruzen in Japan (later Jaguar)

385=Janome

Maybe you can still find a Kenmore made by Janome through the dealer? I don't know anything about current plastic machines.
I have an older Brother CS6000i which I like for fancy stitches, but it's a bit touchy about linty thread. All my other machines are vintage Kenmores or assorted treadles.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:27 PM

It turns out they don't carry anything BUT Toyotas (it's a vacuum/sewing machine sales & service place), and he flat refused to give us a refund. So we had no real choice but to leave it there & let them "tune it up". Whatever.

Then we went & looked at Janome machines - nice, but nothing really turned me on.

Then we looked at Brothers online, and even at some of the "throwaway" type machines at Costco online. Thankfully they don't carry them in the stores, or I'm afraid I would be swayed. Just use it till it croaks & toss it.

Thankfully, I remembered that some of you actually do sew quilts on your antique machines - and my mother's 1918 Singer 127 is sitting in our greatroom. So . . . . why not?

I'll give the Toyota another try when they "fix" it, and may or may not sell it on ebay or craigslist. I can always use Old Faithful to quilt with!!!

Thanks, all of you who sew on antiques, to opening my eyes!

Old 02-15-2014, 02:48 AM

[QUOTE=His_Grace;6575743] he flat refused to give us a refund. So we had no real choice but to leave it there & let them "tune it up". Whatever.

Did you pay with a credit card? You can dispute up to 60 days after it showed on your bill under "quality of goods"
Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 AM

Oh, and you would love a Brother - I've had the walmart one which is a "project runway" and I have an advanced embroidery one. I also own a Baby Lock Unity (also made by Brother) which is a dream machine. The best part is that there are so many compatible things when you go with a big brand. I just got a magnetic hoop (snap hoop) for the BL yet my sister can't get one for her Janome.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:39 AM

Send a hand written letter to the president of the company (Toyota sewing) you can also send an email but many times they do not go to the head of the company.