Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you find a charity group? >

How do you find a charity group?

How do you find a charity group?

Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 PM

I'm taking this year to make several doll quilts that I will send via Operation Christmas Child that is a ministry of Samaritan's Purse. You fill a shoebox with toys, hygiene items, school supplies, hair thingies, socks, mittens, etc (google if interested)

I'm going to buy an 8-10 inch new doll for each doll quilt I finish, and then fill in the box with other little things. I think it will brighten the world of a child ages 2-4. (Operation Christmas Child has you pack a shoebox by gender and age group.)
Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Fantastic idea! Would you mind sharing your pattern for the wheelchair and walker bags? Sounds like a great way to bless folks and use up stash in a hurry.
You can find pattern PDF's of different styles free at:
http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-...le-sewing.html and at

http://www.sewing.org/html/charitysew.php
These are two sites I've used. One of the board members posted pix of an easy quick bag for walkers here late last year. I copied her instructions and pictures, but I don't have that info near me right now. I might find it in the notebook of patterns somewhere--if you don't like these, pm me and I'll do a search. You might do a search here in Main. I liked it and made a half dozen quickly for the Xmas donations.

Last edited by mermaid; 02-15-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 AM

I help with our local chapter of Project Linus, and we give to hospitals but also to health clinics, homeless shelters, pediatric therapy groups, teen mom groups...in other words, under our umbrella we reach out to many places. We also know of others who support senior groups and other types of nonprofits, so contact your local PL chapter and ask questions!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Charity groups.

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Is there a website that lists groups that do charity quilts? Seems that I've asked everyone at the local quilt stores and they don't seem to know of any.
I would check with local churches as many have charity groups that use their buildings and senior citizen centers. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I appreciate the time you took to help me! There are groups around here that donate quilts, but it seems they want you to be a member. Now I have lots of options!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 PM

I totally agree with this. I donate all the time to my friend's group of her church "Sew many Blessings" as they need a lot of help because they don't have a lot of support and you know it is going to a good cause where local help is needed instead of spending on shipping and all what you can spend on buying more fabric to help locally. It just makes more sense to me to help locally.
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
All of the above mentioned groups are worthy, but sometimes it is easier, less expensive, or more satisfying, or there are fewer rules to be followed, if you donate locally. All the guilds around here donate quilts to various groups, including abused women and children's shelters, veterans, and active duty military. One of the LQS's organizes sewing sessions using donated fabric (unusual for a quilt store to do this!) to donate quilts to hospice. There is a another group that meets weekly in the senior center to make quilts for veterans. Church groups also make quilts for donations. Your LQS really should be aware of these types of organizations, so shame on them for not having the information. I think your best bet would be to check with the local guilds, senior centers, hospitals, hospice, etc. If they can't give you the name of a local group, at least one of them will probably be thrilled to take your donations.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM

Many good ideas in here. Thank you. It's something I'm interested in and want to do when we're just a bit more financially stable ourselves.
Rodney
Old 02-17-2014, 06:51 AM

Do you have a particular interest closest to your heart? Contact them.

I discovered a lady was making cage inserts for a local animal rescue group. You adopted a critter, you got a cage mat. The mats were even sometimes time of the year themed: Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, 4th of July, etc. Encouraged adoptive people. I discovered the group and this lady at the vet's office.

There are groups everywhere. Find that interest closest to your heart and talk to people who are involved somehow with that interest. They are out there and all it takes is talking to people to find them. Your time and talent will be gratefully appreciated. And you will make some similarly concerned friends.

Good luck and have a good time.

Pat
Old 02-17-2014, 07:09 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

IT DOESN'T HURT TO KEEP A FEW QUILTS, SET ASIDE, FOR LOCAL CHARITY DINNERS. EXAMPLE, A BUSINESS OWNER WAS SHOT MAKING THE NITE BANK DEPOSIT AND LEFT PARALYZED. sorry about caps. a quilt could be donated to events such as that where they are raising money for medical expenses etc. just another way to keep it local if you like. OUR LOCAL NEWS AND NEWSPAPERS ALWAYS HAVE A STORY. HOUSE FIRES ETC. dang! I keep hitting the cap key. sorry
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Let me suggest wraptheminlove.org
It's based in Washington state. The quilts go to children around the world and all are appreciated. Shame on your LQS for not maintaining a list. There is so much need.